Can I tile over a painted concrete floor?

DeboMorgan McBrideWilliam
+5

• Kathy DeStafino
    Kathy DeStafino

Yes, but you will most likely need to use a floor leveler.

William

NOPE. If the paint comes loose, so does the tile. You should either strip or bead blast the concrete and thoroughly clean it. Water should readily absorb in the concrete as an indication that it is suitable for bonding the tile to it. Floor leveling compound won't hold to the painted surface either.

• Jay
    Jay

Thanks Kathy, I appreciate it. ( I do know what floor leveler is..surprize!

Jay

William

https://www.ehow.com/how_5569050_install-tile-painted-concrete-floor.html

• Jay
      Jay

Thanks William, that makes sense, the concrete is not painted now and painting would be a temporary upgrade until I tile it sometime down the road. Guess the tiling just moved up on the “Things to do “ list.

• Morgan McBride
    Morgan McBride

absolutely!

• Jay
      Jay

Thank you for your response Morgan, I appreciate your time and suggestion.

• Debo
    Debo

I had a concrete floor in my restaurant and very limited funds for such a large space. After some research I ended up cutting the concrete into 2x2 squares, staining it, and then grouted the cuts. It was a huge amount of work but the result was stunning and it held up really well (would have been better if I had waxed or sealed it but I got tired lol). The cutting wasn’t necessary, just my preference at the time, and I think it would have looked just as amazing if I hadn’t with much less work and mess.