Ugly Entry Door Update

$30

My front door was simply ugly. I'm not in a position to buy a new entry door; they are super expensive to buy, then install, so I tried to find a way to make my old, flat, ugly door more appealing. First, I sanded the door and patched what I could, then cleaned it. I cut some lightweight PVC moulding and made two frames, which I bonded to the door with an adhesive for PVC. I also ran some silicone around the frames to make a more finished look. I wanted to make the door look completely different and since I couldn't cut a whole in it, I created a faux window using the same PVC moulding and mirror paper from a craft store. I built the frame and glued the paper to the backside of the frame. The paper was adhesive-backed, but I left the back on because it added some stability. Because I was not sure the paper would hold up to the heat, (the door is protected by a glass storm door, but is not protected from the Florida heat), I didn't want to permanently attach the faux window to the door, so I used Velcro. The mirror paper is holding up so far. If I need to replace it, it will come down easily and I could use a lightweight mirror or maybe plexiglass with window film; for now, it's doing OK. Several coats of white paint later and I'm happy with the results. I spray painted the brass door knocker black to match the locks. Anyone walking in can't tell it's the old door, or that it's a fake window.

See . . .ugly.

Patched and sanded

I had to work with the door upright. Strong duct tape served to hold the frames while the adhesive dried. You will need a good level for this.

This was after a coat of primer.

Faux window made with PVC moulding and mirror paper.

The finished project.