Ugly Entry Door Update

$30

My front door was simply ugly. I'm not in a position to buy a new entry door; they are super expensive to buy, then install, so I tried to find a way to make my old, flat, ugly door more appealing. First, I sanded the door and patched what I could, then cleaned it. I cut some lightweight PVC moulding and made two frames, which I bonded to the door with an adhesive for PVC. I also ran some silicone around the frames to make a more finished look. I wanted to make the door look completely different and since I couldn't cut a whole in it, I created a faux window using the same PVC moulding and mirror paper from a craft store. I built the frame and glued the paper to the backside of the frame. The paper was adhesive-backed, but I left the back on because it added some stability. Because I was not sure the paper would hold up to the heat, (the door is protected by a glass storm door, but is not protected from the Florida heat), I didn't want to permanently attach the faux window to the door, so I used Velcro. The mirror paper is holding up so far. If I need to replace it, it will come down easily and I could use a lightweight mirror or maybe plexiglass with window film; for now, it's doing OK. Several coats of white paint later and I'm happy with the results. I spray painted the brass door knocker black to match the locks. Anyone walking in can't tell it's the old door, or that it's a fake window.

See . . .ugly.

Patched and sanded

I had to work with the door upright. Strong duct tape served to hold the frames while the adhesive dried. You will need a good level for this.

This was after a coat of primer.

Faux window made with PVC moulding and mirror paper.

The finished project.

• Heather

Absolutely lovely ‼️‼️ Who would ever know it wasn’t original expensive door. I did a similar project using three stacked rectangles on my side door, an original 1951 wood door, which from the street, looked completely modern especially when I spray painted the door handles black. GOOD WORK ...JOB WELL DONE💕

• Darlene Williman

We did a similar project on a wooden door many years ago. We were renting but the landlord approved it as it increased the value of the house. We used plastic molding that was already white and created a design for the door that framed the glass diamond window in the door. We then pained the door and the trim. The door was the dominate color of the brick on the house and the new trim was a lighter color from the multi colored brick on the house. We no longer live there but I go past the house all the time and the door is still there the way we made it so it has held up well and apparently is liked by others. Easy project for my husband who was a carpenter. Wouldn't have been as easy for me but still wouldn't have been impossible. Took about three days. One to add the molding and one to paint and let dry. Nice job.