Sunny Side Design
Sunny Side Design
  • Layton, UT

How To Glaze To Create A Coastal Look

$65

Do you have some old pieces of furniture lying around that are dark and drab, maybe even a bit dated? Refinishing a piece of furniture can be so much fun and can make a dramatic difference in your space. Simply adding a coat or two of paint can do wonders, but in this tutorial we added another step to give our piece more depth, dimension and drama! Continue reading to see how to use glaze to create a coastal look. You'll be surprised how easy this step is!

how to glaze to create a coastal look

I picked this beautiful table up from my local classifieds for about $75. It was in kinda sad shape. The top was full of scratches and dings…and my 4 year old didn’t help with the matter as he would drive his cars all around the table! The table is the perfect height for him to think it is his personal racetrack for his cars! My poor table had finally suffered enough! Mr. A got a real racetrack for his cars for his birthday so the coffee table racing has been banned!  

You can watch the full tutorial below to see exactly how we transformed this sad table into a darling coastal piece full of character! Please scroll through the remainder of the post to see detailed images along the way as well.

To get started on this furniture makeover we took the legs off of the table to make it easier to paint the underneath surface of the table. We gave the table top a light sanding on some of the more beat up pieces where there were scratches and dings. Then we were ready to get down and dirty with the fun stuff!

how to glaze to create a coastal look

Painting the table white was just the first step to transforming this dark and drab table into a light and airy coastal piece. We painted the entire table, the bottom, legs and top with two coats of Behr Chalk Paint. We then let the paint cure overnight. 

how to glaze to create a coastal look

To create more depth, detail and dimension to the table we added a glaze finish to the entire piece. We used 4 parts glaze to 1 part paint. We used a light grey acrylic paint, the Behr brand from Home Depot of course, because its our favorite.

how to glaze to create a coastal look

Use an old bucket to mix the 2 parts together with a stir stick. The consistency will be a little runnier than the paint alone. That’s ok, that’s how it should be.  Also note that the glaze itself is a clear color, so it will take on whatever color of paint you’re using. 

how to glaze to create a coastal look

So what does the glaze do? The glaze extends the drying time of your paint. So you essentially have more working time. If you’re working on a piece alone this is especially helpful. My Mom and I worked on this project together so it just sped up the process.

how to glaze to create a coastal look

First we painted one plank of wood on the table at a time, making sure to get the paint down into the deep grooves in the wood, especially in between each plank. Once a plank had been painted, my Mom took a clean cotton cloth and lightly wiped the excess paint from the plank. 

how to glaze to create a coastal look

Look how much detail and definition the glazing added to this plank already! You can really see all of the deep grooves and detailing on the table starting to stand out.

how to glaze to create a coastal look

This image should give you a good idea on the different look that glaze will add to your piece. You can see where we have the bottom part of the table completely glazed and wiped down, the top of the table doesn’t have any glazing added yet, just the 2 coats of chalk paint.

how to glaze to create a coastal look

The legs of the table are especially detailed with deep grooves. I love all of the detail that is brought out with the glaze!

how to glaze to create a coastal look

Once the glazing has been applied to all surfaces, we let it dry to the touch. Really, I guess you could call it good after you’re finished glazing. It just totally depends on the look you’re going for. The glazing definitely added much needed detail and dimension to the table…but I wanted to take it another step further.

how to glaze to create a coastal look

Enter sandpaper to the finishing stages and voila! It pulls some of the initial dark brown staining from the table through and creates yet another layer of detail. This step really helped to make the table look aged, salt and wind worn and well loved.

how to glaze to create a coastal look

I mean really…just look at the patina on this table now! I LOVE it! It looks a bit weathered and worn like driftwood, very coastal!

how to glaze to create a coastal look

When using chalk paint its important to seal your piece, otherwise the paint can stain and/or discolor over time. Adding a wax or polyurethane finish will also add some durability and protection to your piece. You’ll definitely want to add a finish if the piece gets a lot of use like a coffee table or kitchen table!

To see what product we used and how we finished up this project click the link to our site for step by step directions.

Click here to be directed to the site

how to glaze to create a coastal look

We hope you enjoyed this tutorial and inspired you to give this technique a try.

Sunny Side Design

• Jean Quintana

For over 30 years I've been using furniture stain with a sealer over painted surfaces and it works as antiquing and it also seals the surface of the paint.

• Joan Russell McMullen

Thank you for sharing. I love the project. Now all I have to do is find a coffee table to try it on. Your son is adorable!

• Sunny Side Design

Thank you Joan! If you give this technique a try we would love to see it. My Mr. A is a goof-ball, he always wants to be in every video we make. He has dreams of being a youtuber.