Asked on Aug 13, 2019

How do I care for daylilies after they’ve bloomed?

DianeGkKaren Hyde
+1

My day lilies are looking very bedraggled....can I cut them back now? I’ve done it before and new leaves grow but I don’t know if this is unhealthy for the plant.

• Kelli L. Milligan

I cut off the stalks and let the leaves die back naturally.

• Karen Hyde

The leaves are necessary for the bulbs to store energy for next year. Let them die off, then remove them.

• Gk

Wait until fall before you cut them back. In my area this is usually in September (northern MN) You can trim off all the flower stalks now if they are done blooming. I also transplant in the early fall once I trim all the leaves off. I have LOTS of day lilies! I use a weed/grass trimmer to begin cutting the massive amount of leaves off and then I go back in with my rake and hand trimmers to clean thiings up.

• Diane

Some daylilies have 2 bloomings like the Stella Dora (a short bright yellow flower) in the summer months.so don't be too eager to remove the leaves either; you can; however, remove the dead stems from the first bloom...when the leaves are done for the season they will call to you to cut them.