Thea
Thea
  • South Africa

Glam up a Laundry Bin

$15

The metal laundry bin was clashing with the decor. Here’s how to make it fabulous.

This laundry bin started life as one of those stock standard silver metal ones. But fashions have changed and although changing bathroom hardware to gold or bronze makes me want to break into a cold sweat, this was a bit of bling I could handle.

The poor dear in its original state
The poor dear in its original state

After ensuring that it was clean and rust free, which it luckily was, I gave it a coat of Marshal primer spray paint in white. Having not used a primer in another metal spraying project, I was not taking any chances.

glam up a laundry bin

Next I gave it two and a bit coats of Marshal metallic paint. I worked outside in the harshest daylight but still managed to miss some spots. Luckily the teenager with the superior eyesight was around to gleefully point out all of mom’s mistakes.

glam up a laundry bin

After allowing it to dry (which didn’t take long considering the bone dry pre-spring climate) I took it inside to do some sewing.

glam up a laundry bin

I used brown and gold raffia and a really big needle. I have not done much sewing since early high school, let alone embroidery, which is what this essentially is, so I cannot give any informed tips. All I can say is that you should start from the inside of the bin (don’t mock me) and remember to secure the first end otherwise you pull it right through when tightening the stitch. And keep the stitches tight.

I ended up knotting the first and last parts together to secure the design. Also, bear in mind that due to the concave nature of the inside of the bin the stitches should not be too big. Otherwise you will have buttons and zippers catching on the raffia.

I still have an idea for a lid but since the basket project was such an easy win I thought I would post it in the meantime. This is going to look great in the chocolate brown and cream bathroom.

glam up a laundry bin

• Lisas Rexstar

What a surprise! A really glamorous laundry bin! Who thinks of things like that? You could take that idea into other parts of the house: a magazine holder, with the right lid, even a side table. In the garden, a cool planter. What if you drilled holes in a can, then painted & "embroidered it? Pencil holder? Now, look what you started! 😉