Glam up a Laundry Bin

$15

The metal laundry bin was clashing with the decor. Here’s how to make it fabulous.

This laundry bin started life as one of those stock standard silver metal ones. But fashions have changed and although changing bathroom hardware to gold or bronze makes me want to break into a cold sweat, this was a bit of bling I could handle.

The poor dear in its original state

After ensuring that it was clean and rust free, which it luckily was, I gave it a coat of Marshal primer spray paint in white. Having not used a primer in another metal spraying project, I was not taking any chances.

Next I gave it two and a bit coats of Marshal metallic paint. I worked outside in the harshest daylight but still managed to miss some spots. Luckily the teenager with the superior eyesight was around to gleefully point out all of mom’s mistakes.

After allowing it to dry (which didn’t take long considering the bone dry pre-spring climate) I took it inside to do some sewing.

I used brown and gold raffia and a really big needle. I have not done much sewing since early high school, let alone embroidery, which is what this essentially is, so I cannot give any informed tips. All I can say is that you should start from the inside of the bin (don’t mock me) and remember to secure the first end otherwise you pull it right through when tightening the stitch. And keep the stitches tight.

I ended up knotting the first and last parts together to secure the design. Also, bear in mind that due to the concave nature of the inside of the bin the stitches should not be too big. Otherwise you will have buttons and zippers catching on the raffia.

I still have an idea for a lid but since the basket project was such an easy win I thought I would post it in the meantime. This is going to look great in the chocolate brown and cream bathroom.

18 Stunning Backsplash Ideas You Do Not Want To Miss!
15 Home Improvement DIY Ideas You'll Want To Copy This Month
15 Fun Things You Can Make Using Your Cricut
Fun Father's Day Gift Ideas You Can Make Yourself
4 Chemical-Free Ways To Clean In Your Home
15 Stencil Patterns You'll Wish You'd Seen Sooner
30 Stunning Ways To Display Your Plants
31 Update Ideas To Make Your Kitchen Look Fabulous
30 Unbelievable Backyard Update Ideas
18 Ideas to Keep You From Feeling Blue
15 Awesome Projects To Get You Ready For St. Patrick's Day

• Lisas Rexstar

What a surprise! A really glamorous laundry bin! Who thinks of things like that? You could take that idea into other parts of the house: a magazine holder, with the right lid, even a side table. In the garden, a cool planter. What if you drilled holes in a can, then painted & "embroidered it? Pencil holder? Now, look what you started! 😉

• Suz

Any ideas about how to decorate a cloth netted laundry basket?

• Suz

Thnx Thea, I like the ribbon idea. I could actually do that. Will post a pic when I get done. I am thinking nothing fancy, just something to take the edge off the laundry container.

• Julie Lnu

I love that bin! Where did you get it?

• Thea

It’s at least 15 years old, no idea.😛

• Suz

Thea, I told u I would send u a pic of my "decorated" laundry basket. You gave me the idea of using ribbon. Well...while I was cleaning out my mom's closets, I saw this pretty red ribbon and saved it. I put it on my laundry basket that nite. It's not fancy, but I think of my mom when I see it. She recently moved into a care facility at 93yrs.

The fond memories have over ridden then lack of a fancy design. Thnx for the inspiration! -Suz