Karen Stutzman
Karen Stutzman
  • Streetsboro, OH
Asked on Sep 18, 2019

How can I remove glue from an old ottoman?

AnnieToni @ Girl, Just DIY!

My sister-in-law gave me an old ottoman covered in twine. I'm going to cover it in fabric but I need to remove the excess glue and to prep. Underneath is a well made wooden storage box. This my first attempt at doing this. Any tips you have are much appreciated.

• Toni @ Girl, Just DIY!

I'd start with using a stiff putty knife to see if you can chip it away. Sometimes old glues weren't that strong. A heat gun and putty knife might be a good option. Also, you a 60 Grit sandpaper on either a belt or palm sander to remove it. If using a belt sander you'll want to go cautiously so as to not go too deep. Then after the glue is gone move to 120 grit followed by 220 to get a smooth finish.

• Karen Stutzman

Thank you! I really appreciate your reply. We recently moved so no sandpaper. It's on my list. Again thanks!

• Annie

Try just gently scraping it, you might find the old glue just falls off. Since the box is wood, just sand it after all the glue is off.