Engineer Your "Vertical" Space: Tiny Kitchen DIY Shelf Storage Idea

$20

Loving to cook and having a tiny kitchen can sometimes seem like 2 things that don't go together, but there's ways to make every single cubic inch of that small kitchen work harder for you. Here's the perfect example - my friend and her boyfriend love to cook and they have an aromatic olive oil collection that rivals most gourmet food stores or restaurants. There wasn't any space for the olive oil bottles in any of the cupboards, so they ended up staying on top of the small kitchen cart. Not ideal since there is also very little counter space in this kitchen that can be better used for something else. The solution? Going vertical!

Definitely not the best way to be storing all this olive oil!

There was a small narrow wall in the kitchen that was the only space that could work to store the olive oil bottles. But to make that happen, it would require some DIY'ing to make a custom shelving unit that would fit the narrow wall, contour the outlet and thermostat and be as thin as possible to not stick out off the wall to much.  

Luckily, the olive oil bottles were just a hair under 2.5" in diameter, so small enough to fit on a 1"x3". To clear the thermostat that was right at the edge of the wall, I had to make a cut out but other than that all the pieces were the same length to fit the width of the wall.

I didn't have all my tools or supplies and I couldn't counter sink the screw heads and cover them with wood filler, as I usually do. Instead, I used what I had on hand: some white nail polish. The screws are still visible but now they blend in and I like the more rustic look it gives the shelving unit!

Such a small easy project and yet it completely transformed the kitchen and not only made it more functional but also more beautiful.

More details on my blog!

• 1"x3"  (Hardware store)
  • Screen molding  (Hardware store)
  • Screws  (Hardware store)

How To: Make Hot Glue Placemats + More Crafts Ideas!
15 Amazing Craft Projects That You Can Do Under 15 Minutes
30 Fabulous Wreath Ideas That Will Make Your Neighbors Smile
Storage Hacks That Will Instantly Declutter Your Kitchen
30 Gorgeous Ways To Keep Your Home Organized
The Cutest Ways to Decorate Your Front Porch for Easter!
12 Container Garden Ideas to Kick Off Spring
These Bathroom Makeovers Might Inspire You To Update Your Own
These Clever Decor Ideas Are So Perfect For Summer
30 Adorable DIY Ideas For July 4th
Engineer Your Space

• Janis

Why do you have so much Olive Oil?

• CHANDRA MARTINEZ

Ha! The mass amounts of Olive oil distracted from the awesome use of extra space. It was my first question also! I applaud you for finding a way to use what you have - space AND nail polish! Well done.

• Lovesunique

I have never seen such a compact kitchen and yet it seems to have a dishwasher and full size stove! The olive bottles have become art by placing them on the wall and your eye goes right to them making the space appear bigger. Very clever!

• Kara Wurtzel

Love this!