This is the "before".
Back to Black Cherry Wood
So, here we are changing all our furniture and cabinets from wood stains to white, cream, gray, etc. But this client of mine, wanted his white entertainment built-in to match his kitchen's black cherry wood. Hmm...how to go from white to a "stain" look? I went to home depot and found me a small cherry wood floor sample and studied it for a while.
After analyzing the piece, I decided to paint the cabinets with a caramel color first so that when I add the burgundy on top, the caramel will still show in some areas.
In this picture, I had already painted with the caramel color and was starting to add the burgundy which by the way, I mixed myself with three other paints until I got the desired burgundy color. I did tell my client not to panic after seeing the caramel and then the burgundy because the last step was going to make the difference.
Also, for the bottom cabinets, I used a deglosser to help the paint adhere better. Don't really know if it made a difference or not.
The cool thing was that all I had to do, was one coat of the burgundy so that you could see the brush strokes and have the caramel color peek through.
Even though it looks sloppy, the end result works because it gives that wood grain look.
I needed a very deep black to mix with glaze so I used Unicorn Spit Midnight Black. I used a round sponge to add the glaze making sure it saturated the lines and crevices.
So the bottom was done and I went back the next day to do the top.
This was a very exhausting job! especially for my poor right shoulder. If only I could use my left the same way
The last step after it was all dry, was to add the "Wipe-on-Poly" with a rag to protect it and give it a shine. And then the knobs. I added two coats to the bottom cabinets.
Here it is all done.
After. They were thrilled with the results and I was proud of myself!! I also did it at the base and top of the column you see on the right.
Here is a picture of part of the kitchen. The idea was to match the color and look of those cabinets and I think I was able to accomplish it!!