Asked on Nov 10, 2019

How do I add lights to ceiling beams?

Lifestyles HomesWilliamMogie
+4

• Kelli L. Milligan

If the beans are hallow you can run wiring thru the walls , add a switch, from an electrical source up to beam and add an electrical box on each beam to attach your new fixtures. May have to make a few holes in drywall to pull wires where you need them.

• Lifestyles Homes

Hire an electrician to run the circuit and the new wall switches.

Have him/her put the wires in “wire mold” surface mounted conduit, with a pig tail for you to attach to the end of track lighting’s track.

Then you can install track lighting. I recommend LED’s light bulbs, 2700 Kelvin.

• Valleycat1

Yes. If they are structural beams, not simply decorative, you should not drill holes any larger than screws to attach lights on the side, and definitely not hollow out a wire track. If you have space in the ceiling you can run the wires there.

• Lifestyles Homes

This is what I’m talking about. These are structural beams and they were not modified in any way.

I had an electrician run the new circuit and the Romex was hidden on the bottom of the beam with surface-mounted “wire mould” conduit, meant for this purpose. (It is coming from the attic space on the other side of the wall).

The track lighting was ordered with a hard-wired end, so that there is a very tiny factory junction box where the track starts and the feeder circuit line ends.

The ceiling fan is not part of the track lighting, but the two pendant lights are.

These are Juno 24V (not 12V) commercial track lighting systems, FYI.

• Lifestyles Homes

If this is what you’re talking about, I can be more technical. I’ve 30+ years in the architecture profession and I understand all the Codes.