Our Pool Deck Project

We hired professionals to install a used pool we bought from my sister, then designed and built our deck!
Almost done - now there is a step from ground to lower deck - about 6 feet wide.
Day 1 - laying out the concrete pads for the 4x4s
Framing the upper level of the pool deck
day two - framing the lower deck
First deck boards go on.
End of day one - upper deck complete except for railings.
end of day two, lower deck complete. Next will be steps, railings and gate.
It has turned into a deck-a-saurus! (Summer 2016)

Grab Some Pool Noodles And Copy These 3 Ideas
The Top 9 Kitchen Countertop Makeovers People Are Doing Now
Easy DIY Remedies For Your 7 Most Hated Bugs
21 Clever Wind Chimes You Can Make
18 String Art Ideas That You'll Want To Hang In Your Home
Does Your Staircase Need an Update?
15 Home Improvement DIY Ideas You'll Want To Copy This Month
30 Creative Painting Techniques & Ideas You MUST See
17 Benches You Can Build This Summer
26 Adorable Ornament Ideas to Get You REALLY Excited for Christmas
Do Your Kitchen Cabinets Need an Update?
15 Easy & Colorful DIY Projects For Your Home
Do You Want to Update Your Antique Furniture?

• Ashley Olstad

How did you secure the 4x4s - It doesn't look like you dug? I can't dig down where my pool is and want to set it on the dirt but not sure how to make it structurally sound as this will be about 4' high

• Traci V

It is on blocks -a "floating deck". The sheer weight of the lumber keeps it secure.

• Tub22385114

Do you have blueprints & directions we can get?
    • Traci V

Sorry. No blueprints. This was sketched out on paper with rough measurements. My pool is 29 feet diameter with 19 posts/sides. 360 degrees (circle) divided by 19 sides is 19 degree angles at each post. I cut my deck boards at half that (9.5 degrees - with a little tweaking up or down as necessary) so that where the deck boards meet at each post it forms the 19 degree angle. Beyond that it was just a lot of elbow grease. I hope this helps you.
  • Pat Johnson Smith

We are in the planning stage for our pool deck. How do you cover the pool for winter with the deck being even with the pool edge? BTW, it looks great!!
    • Traci V

There is enough room (tight - but enough) to get the cover and clips on. I do have the pool opened and closed each year (including cover on/off) by the company that installed the pool. It is worth the $$ to save me the hassle, plus for an extra $25 they store the cover for us all summer.
  • Sandra Miller

how are the posts on the concrete pads, Do they just stand on them or are they put in wet concrete.
  • Terry Baldwin

Is the floor 2 X 6 or 2 X 8

• Izzy Marie

Do you have a supply list I want to do this but don’t know what to get.

• Traci V

tough call - depends on how big you are building. Each trapezoid section needs 4 4x4 posts, 4 2x6 or 2x8 stringers, enough deck boards to cover the surface and the hardware. I use 3/8" galvanized carriage bolts, nuts and washers and square drive deck screws (3" for framing, 2 1/2 for decking) The concrete pads are either 4" octagons or the less expensive 4x8x16 blocks. Hope that helps.

• Sonya Hickman

Where are the actual instructions for this deck?

• Marc Didemus

Your lucky being able to use deck blocks. In our municipality any deck over 4' high you have to use big feet and sono tubes. Way more expensive.
  • Cith A

awesome Job!!