While my dresser is not in place in this picture, you can see the empty, sad wall and the pocket door opening close to the back of the bedroom.
Step 1: Measure Your Door
You will first measure your door opening, width and height, and add two inches on each side for overlap.
Example: Door opening width + 2 = Width of your barn door without trim. If you want to add trim, like I did - you would only add 1/2" to your measurement.
Step 2: Purchase Materials
- 3/4 thick MDF Particle Board 4ft x 8 ft sheet - have them cut this to your desired door size.
- (10) 1 x 4 @ 8ft pine boards for the front pieces.
- (3) 1 x 2 @ 8ft pine boards for the trim pieces
- (Roughly 20) 1/4" plywood small strips for spacing (or alternative material)
- Wood glue
- Finishing nails
- Wood filler
- Paint or Stain
- Barn door hanging hardware - I used the one Angela Rose recommended and it was only $60! I have linked to the hardware in my blog post over at Breakingdownthebox.com.