Asked on Dec 2, 2019

How do I make a safe DIY garden insecticide?

Deb KHolly LeeMorgan McBride
+4

• Lifestyles Homes

If they’re crawling insects, powdered boric acid is safe for humans/pets. Dollar Tree has a boric-acid based insect killer you can try before you make a less-diluted version, yourself. 100% powdered boric acid can be found in a full-line drug store, in the eye first aid aisle.

They have to ingest it, which is done when they go back to their nests and bathe.

Another DIY crawling bug pesticide is Food Grade diatomaceous earth. That kills them by grinding through their exoskeletons. It can be found in feed stores and is used as an anti-caking agent. It will dry out your skin and your lungs, so handle with gloves and don’t dust the plants inside.

• Lifestyles Homes

If those don’t work, Ortho makes a product called Sevin, of which one can eat the garden seven days after you’ve sprayed it.

• Redcatcec

What I do is a natural approach, go to Google and look up "companion plants", these plants planted along with what you want to grow will repel pests. I have successfully used this for years.

• Thuraya

Thank you for your help and useful advice

• Morgan McBride

I use Neem oil

• Holly Lee

Cyeanne pepper n water...

Dawn dishsoap n water ..vinegar n water..

• Deb K

Hello, Thuraya, here is a couple of recipes for you to try

To make a basic oil spray insecticide, mix 1 cup of vegetable oil with 1 tablespoon of soap (cover and shake thoroughly), and then when ready to apply, add 2 teaspoons of the oil spray mix with 1 quart of water, shake thoroughly, and spray directly on the surfaces of the plants which are being affected by the little .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11K7YmGbK2s