Upcycled Table From Repurposed Art

$15

Have you ever had a piece of art you really like but no more space on the wall? This was my solution.

Last fall I purchased a bright and colorful painting at a garage sale. Not that I needed more art on my walls but I was certain I would eventually find a way to re-purpose it. It’s been sitting in the craft room for over a year so it was time to make something old into something new so why not find a new purpose for it!

I love the vibrant colors. I thought it would make a great table top to a side table in the soon to be renovated guest room but what to use for the table?

As it turns out, I happened to have a vintage metal table that was also a previous garage sale find and it was a good fit!

One of my conserns was that the metal table top would push through the canvas so I needed a way to make the canvas more stable.

I cut out a piece of foam board to fit inside the bottom of the frame and attached it with tacky glue. It provided the additional support I was wanting.

Step Two:

I added a few thin layers of Mod Podge Hard making sure I gave it time to dry well between coats. I was worried the canvas would warp and it did slightly, but it tightened up nice as it dried. Don't over apply! This hard coat gave it some additional stability.

The canvas fit nice and snugly over the table top! I was going to glue it but I thought perhaps I might want to change things up in the future so I chose not to and added a few strips of two sided tape but it's on their so snug I almost didn't need to. I wouldn't carry it around by the canvas but to have it at a bedside will work perfect

I can't wait to get started on my guest room - I think this will make such a nice addition.

Come visit my blog to find this and other fun DIY projects.

Starr Durrant

This is genius. What a great idea. If you plan to use glass on top. Do not put it on the picture directly. It may stick to the canvas. A blob of hot glue on each corner of the glass will keep it off the canvas. Felt pads or cork discs would also work.

• Kim Bailey Sanchez

WOW, how creative are you!! I really like this idea. I think you were very lucky to find a perfect fit between the table and picture. It’s fantastic. I hope to make one .