Asked on Dec 28, 2019

How can I paint the hands of a metal clock?

Becky at Flipping the FlipVera RoachLibbie B
+5

I have a black metal wall clock with gears and the hands are obscured. How and what kind of paint do I use to make the hands more visible?

• Toni @ Girl, Just DIY!
    Toni @ Girl, Just DIY!

If you can take them off and give them a light coat with spray paint that should be fine. If you apply too much paint, or get more on one than the other it might cause an issue with the motor moving the hands. I'd use the lightest coat possible that will make them show up against the background.

• Pamela
    Pamela

Almost any paint would work , as long as you use a light coat . You don't want to make the hands too heavy or if the paint is too thick it might mess up the mechanism . I would use test or paint or spray paint .

• Emily
    Emily

My husband is a great clock lover. He has even built one and repaired a number of ours. Don't remove the hands! That is a job for an expert.

• Mogie
    Mogie

Pamela is right several light coats are much better then a heavy coats. You don't want any runs.

• Natalie
    Natalie

You can use spray paint that is made for metal. Cover the rest of the clock so it doesn't get everywhere!

• Libbie B
    Libbie B

Any type of metallic paint will work. Tape off the surrounding areas.

• Vera Roach
    Vera Roach

I used black nail polish on my hard to see hands on a wall clock. Looks really nice.

• You can use spray paint or that paint that’s used in those toy car kits. Light coats are best so the hands don’t get too heavy to move.