Laundry Room Renovation

$500
6 Weeks

A complete laundry room renovation using industrial accents & adding a shiplap feature wall!
After!
Our laundry room was very blah with a too large over head cabinet that hung too low & was just plain ugly.
  1. So we decided the best way to keep this project budget friendly was to use medium grade plywood. Our sheets were $20 a piece & we got 2 so I have some extra wood for other projects (score!) We had the awesome guys at Lowes cut our sheets into 6in wide pieces which saved us a bunch of time!
  2. Once we got our sheets home, Justin sanded the edges while I painted the wall our Slate Tile paint color! I recommend painting the wall first, this way you don’t have a different color sneaking through the spacing between boards.
  3. Next, we used the stud finder to find & mark our studs on the wall.
  4. Then, we added wood glue to the back of one piece & starting from the top we nailed up our first piece. Use a level to find the exact place for the board, do not trust the ceiling to be level, its a liar!

In between each board, we placed dimes to act as spacers & just kept working our way down the wall! It was going super smooth until we reached the outlets… Then, it got a bit tricky but not too bad, we just pieced it together the best we could & didn’t panic too much because caulk always takes care of us! Plus, Justin is like expert level piecer together & always makes it look great (no wonder he is always the employee of the month!)
Once all our pieces were up I got to filling in our nail holes & caulking the edges. Once the wood filler is dry sand it down & you are ready to paint!
Some tutorials will say to paint the edges of each piece first but I got too excited to just start the project so I didn’t do that & it worked out fine because it was easy to get in between the boards with a brush. The shiplap got two coats of Slate Tile & I am in love with the finished product!
The shiplap is painted Slate Gray by Sherwin Williams
For our shelving:We decided to use pine treads as our shelves because they were lightweight but still had the thickness we wanted! Once we got it home I stained it with 2 coats of Minwax Golden Pecan. I love the natural look of that stain, it was exactly what I envisioned.
Next, we measured & marked where we wanted our shelves to go. We marked them to go in the middle of the wall & just played with the height until we were happy. This is where my very blonde moment came in… I originally marked the wall after I painted where the studs were, then I transferred the marks to the shiplap as we nailed that up. However, when I started painting the shiplap I completely forgot to remark & painted right over them (sigh). Luckily I could see the marks in the progress photos & we winged it from there! These shelves need to be in studs because the hardware is heavy, so be sure to find them!

I screwed all the pipe pieces together in this order: flange->nipple->elbow->flange. Then, we mounted the first pipe set to the wall. We placed the board on top of the pipe to make sure we were level & screwed in the second pipe set. After the pipe was connected to the wall we screwed the second flange into the boards. We repeated this process for the top shelf also.
Shelving Check!
We made this easy wooden sign to add to the room. The full tutorial for it is on my Hometalk project page.
Ta Da! Our renovated laundry room!

Lia with Southern Yankee DIY

• Kaci

Where are you storing your laundry supplies like detergent, etc.? The shelves don't look sturdy enough for those and the supplies would be too hard to reach. Is it in the little cabinet between the washer and dryer?

• For detergent we use Tide Pods which are stored in that glass jar on the cart! The shelves are actually very sturdy & hold all our extra bulk supplies. Thanks for your question!

• Laurie

Where do you get the pipe? We are having difficulty With a towel bar because the pipes are black but the flange and elbow are just grey metal.

• Robyn Garner

You can both galvanized and black at Home Depot, etc. The galvanized aren't as greasy - just spray all to match.

• Carolina

This looks pretty and would love my laundry room to look like this, but is it really practical and realistic? no place to put the detergent, the softner, bleach, etc... oh, and a rod to hang shirts?

• Carolina

Oh I see!! that is cool. I totally love the room then