Kids Rustic Market Stall

$55
1 Day

I started this project after my kids were constantly dragging my coffee/side tables into their toy room to use as a market stall. So I figured, I’d make them their own.

Recycled timber planks

I was stoked to find a guy on a local buy and sell page selling 2.4m lengths of beautiful recycled timber planks for just $AU17 each, so I bought two. 

I then measured up the area where I wanted the market stall and worked out how long/high I wanted it to be, keeping in mind that I didn’t want the kids to ‘outgrow’ it too quickly. From there I marked out all the measurements on the timber and cut them to size.

Timber cut to size

Once I had all my pieces cut to size I gave them all a good sand to smooth the surfaces and edges, making sure I wasn’t too rough as I wanted to keep some of the markings & imperfections on the timber for that ‘rustic’ look.

The next stage was screwing it all together and attaching it to the wall with some heavy duty screws for extra strength (my son is a climber 🙈).

Painting the sign.

Now came the fun part, the finishing touches and accessories. I had an old metal plate/sign laying around which use to have a decal on it with a bathroom quote so I gave that a light sand to ‘roughen it up’ a little and then used a fine brush to paint the word ‘MARKET’ on it along with a thin border around the edge to add some extra character. I didn’t have any paint on me specifically for metal so I trialed a regular wall paint (Dulux) that I had laying around and it stuck fine to the sanded surface. 👍🏻

I then drilled two holes at the top, one on each end and screwed the sign onto the front of the market stand. I also attached 3 hooks on the side for shopping bags, aprons etc. 

Once the market stall was finished I decorated it with baskets and other bits and pieces I had laying around to make it pretty and functional for hours of market play. :)

Finished product 👌🏻