Asked on Jan 10, 2020

How should I paint or stain this table for resale?

Lucky Home TodayChloe CrabtreeZard Pocleeb
+16

I was given this table to refinish. I stripped it of all its paint. I think the wood legs are nice all sanded down. Unfortunately, the top has a laminate veneer. I was going to leave the legs with the unfinished look and paint the top white. Then I thought to stain the top with a tinted polyurethane stain and leave legs unfinished. Maybe I should paint the whole table white. What do people want. Any ideas? Could be a really cute country cottage table or farmhouse chic. I can do the work, I just get stuck on the color choices.

• Emily

You say, you don't know what people want? Are you going to try to sell this?

• GrandmasHouseDIY

Hi there, right now paint and stain combos/the farmhouse look seems to be really popular still. I think white/distressed legs and a stained top would be lovely!

• Scarlet Paolicchi

I think farmhouse style is popular these days. I'd go all white.

• Sharon

I would leave the top alone as it won't hold up if you paint the laminate, and the whitewash is a good look. At this point since you've removed the paint on the legs, you could add color if you desire.... i've done quite a few tables with blue legs and trim.

• Gk

You can paint the laminate top with chalk paint. You will have to sand it lightly, wipe it clean, and then prime with one or two coats of primer like Kilz. You can then use chalk paint and finish with a coat or two of a water based poly. The entire table painted white would look wonderful. I don't think you will have any trouble selling this table if that is your plan.

• Lifestyles Homes

Yes a two tone would be attractive. Leave the top alone.

You could do the top edge to go with the legs.

Blue is a pretty specific color and “old” white or a greige would be a more marketable color.

• Dee

If I had this table I would gel stain the top a dark color then seal it with several coats of poly. I would clean up the legs and put a coat of acrylic on them for protection. Do not use poly on the legs it will yellow.

• Flipturn

If the goal is to sell the table, I would not sink any money or time into trying to 'fix it up' based on second guessing what potential buyers might or might not want. I would sell it 'as is - ready for your individual ideas'. Then, put the money you get for it towards a project that you will keep for your own use.

• Zard Pocleeb

Crackle paint with a few coats of finish over it.

• Chloe Crabtree

I would go with a stained top and leave the legs as you have them, a very popular look. The stained top will be less likely to show marks than on a white tabletop.

• Lucky Home Today

If you want to be fancy, you could stencil the top or do the 2020 year of color - navy blue on the top to make it more contemporary piece.