Asked on Jan 10, 2020

How do I hang blinds?

Simple Nature DecorSharonBetsy
+5

I am trying to hang a set of blinds. I have one bracket on the left screwed into the wall tight but the other on the right is giving me trouble. I don't have anything to screw into apparently. I looked behind the wall and all the only thing to screw into is vinal siding. I got the bracket on the wall but it's obviously loose and won't hold the blinds. If I use the middle support bracket, it looks like it might screw into a stud. Will that be enough or do I have to still find a way to secure that right bracket? Any ideas are helpful.

• GrandmasHouseDIY

Hi there, you could consider using an anchor to secure the screw to. That provides the same amount of a support as a stud.

• Cheryl A

plastic wall anchors will work for the right side - easy to install and instructions are in the package they can hold up to a 100 lbs.

• Reginald

Thanks Plastic wall anchors might work because I can put those threw the brackets and shims. Then put the screws in the wall anchors and they would expand. If not, I might end up pulling back the siding and screw a peace of wood into the stud. Then screw into that.

• Dee

Use plastic anchors. Put a dab of Power Grab glue onto the anchor. Make the hole for the anchor slightly smaller so it has a place to grab onto. Yes definitely use the middle support bracket for stability. Then if the side anchor fails the blind will not fall out. If the Blinds are not heavy this should work perfectly.

• Deb K

Hi Reginald, here are a few videos to hopefully assist you

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x15ZUOwuOz4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2SSJaO3gVPE

Hi Reginald: Is it possible to move the bracket over to where a stud is? That would be the best thing. If the area that's not secure is where you pull the blinds open and/or closed, it will fail miserably and pull away from the wall and may make a huge hole in the wall  If you don't want to move the bracket over, then maybe make a brace from one stud to the other, using a board about 1/2 inch thick, 2 inches wide and as long as needed, screwing it into the studs solidly. Then, paint it to match your wall. In the area where you open and close the blinds, put a couple of braces in that area. There is a lot of action going on, and an extra brace or two will help to keep the bracket from sagging or bending. Good luck

• Sharon

If there is nothing solid to screw into... you need to use some sort of anchor. You select the anchor just slightly smaller than the screw, then pre-drill a hole into the wall, hammer the anchor in, and then screw the bracket into the anchor.

I don't understand your comment about the vinyl siding through? how does that fit into hanging a blind..... is this outside?