Asked on Jan 19, 2020

How do I clean wooden Venetian blinds that are very greasy and dirty?

Morgan McBrideCraft InvadersTinyshoes
+7

• Cheryl A

Paula,

Wouldn't it be nice if we could put them in the dishwasher or washing machine? I take a white sock and put on my hand, I add a small amount of warm water to the sock and just go over each slat with my hand covering the bottom and top of slat until each one is clean. If you use cleaners on blinds (white) it could discolor them and turn them yellowish brown. Here is more info about blind cleaning.

https://www.goldstarinsulation.com/blog/clean-faux-wood-blinds/

Hi Paula: I use warm water and some Dawn in a bucket and, if the blinds are greasy, I put in about 1/4 cup of vinegar too, and have a bucket of clean warm water along side. I put an old, thick, sock on my hand, put it in the soapy water, squeeze it out and do both sides of the slat at the same time. Once they are all done, I get another old, thick sock and wipe them again with the clean water. You don't take the blinds down, leave them up and clean them where they are:) Easy as anything easy you can think of:) You can push your finger through the string part to get that clean. It only takes a flash, and you can look outside at the same time and watch the birds, hum some songs, or invent things with your time:) Good luck

• Cindy

Hi Paula. To remove all that grease and grime, make a bucket of warm water add a quarter-cup vinegar, and a few squirts of Dawn dish soap. Dawn works best for removing grease and grime. If you want to clean the blinds in place, lay down a couple towels under them and start cleaning with a micro fiber towel. Start at the top and work your way down. If you decide to take them down to clean them, the bath tub works great. Use the same solution and micro fiber towel. Hang them to dry.

• Unique Creations By Anita

I use soapy warm water, once dry I use furniture spray.

• Dwp7470b

You break out your old Village People Karaoke Hits CD and you put it to the track for: 'In the Navy' but sing instead: 'In the Bathtub, you can put Mister Clean, In the Bathtub, all the Grease will scrub Free, in the Bathtub, in the bathtub'.

And it will make the grime come free. Just give it time to soak and if need be, change the water after a Rinse.

• Hi Paula - We use this spray in conjunction with our swiffer extender for blinds, and in addition to be a great duster spray, it helps to keep spiders and other buggies at a minimum. Hope this helps! Hugs, Holly

https://pinkfortitude.com/swiffer/

PS - We have a FREE eBook with recipes for all of my homemade and all-natural cleaners. You can download it here --> https://pinkfortitude.com/thank#GreenClean

• Tinyshoes

Paula...l use my bathtub with hot water & dawn

• Morgan McBride

If they are greasy you will need to wipe each blade - both sides