Repurposed Vintage Sifter Makeover Into Pencil Holder

$4

This diy pencil holder is a fun storage solution and it's a pretty easy project.
Storage doesn't have to be boring, and using vintage kitchen things for projects like this is something I love to do.
To make my pencil holder I'm using a bunch of stamps left over from the decoupaged stamp table that I created for my living room, and a vintage sifter, which I've had for eons, is a great candidate for this stamp project.
NOTE: I am not a stamp collector. These stamps were purchased specifically for crafting purposes.
I started by applying a coat of the decoupage medium right onto the sifter along the bottom.
This way I can start the stamps at a straight line and work my way up.
Before applying the stamps onto the sifter I gave them a light coat of the decoupage medium on the back.
Doing this makes them easier to work with and also to move around in place.
Here you can see how I'm moving my way along and up at the same time.
Because the stamps are small it makes it easy to work them into place over the raised parts of the sifter.
When I reached the top rim of the sifter I applied the stamps, letting them extend over the edge, and let them dry.
I tried not to apply any medium along the top rim.
When the stamps were dry I trimmed the top with an xacto knife.
The knife blade needs to be very sharp so you get a nice clean cut, and very light pressure is all that's required.
After giving the whole thing a light coat of the decoupage medium and letting it dry, I gave it a light sanding with a fine grit sanding block.
Make sure to clean off any sanding dust with a tack cloth or a slightly damp cloth.
To stop the metal mesh inside the sifter from getting damaged by pen and pencil tips, I put a small aluminum jello mold inside.
You could use a plastic or glass bowl, or whatever else you have that will fit.
I repeated the sanding and decoupaging process three times so I had a nice strong finish on my diy pencil holder.
Just for fun and because this is a vintage sifter I left the raised embossed GEM logo visible.
If you look closely you can see how the stamps have taken on the contours of the sifter.
Mixing the colors and sizes of stamps gives it a more interesting look, sort of like a mosaic.
This doesn't have to be a pencil holder. It could be used to hold so many other things.
The 1 hours time to do this project doesn't include drying time between coats of the decoupage medium.
If you're interested in more projects like this you can find more decoupage projects here.

Fun Father's Day Gift Ideas You Can Make Yourself
25 Fun Things You'll Want to DIY Before the Spring Arrives
30 Jewelry Organizing Ideas That Are Better Than a Jewelry Box
3 Great Projects To Flip Your Cookie Sheet Pans
15 Unique Father's Day Crafts
25 Creative Ways You Can Decorate Using Maps
18 Ideas to Keep You From Feeling Blue
These Bathroom Makeovers Might Inspire You To Update Your Own
3 Fantastic Step-By-Step Ideas What To Do With Pallets!
31 Storage Hacks That Will Instantly Declutter Your Kitchen
How A Little Bit Of Glitter Can Go A Long Way!
Live Life In Color With These Amazing Ideas For Your Home
20 Easy Projects To Help You Get Ready For Easter
13 Bird Feeders From Upcycled Items
Color Me Thrifty

• Donna Carter

Thank you for such great ideas! I am inspired to complete a project. Thank you

• Roxanne

I am madly in love with this! Tell me please how I can buy stamps for this purpose. Thanks!!!!!

• Color Me Thrifty

Thanks so much Roxanne! You could try ebay or etsy and see if you find a seller to your liking that sells bundles of stamps meant for crafting purposes.