Asked on Feb 7, 2020

How would you rearrange this furniture?

Maura WhiteDeeRymea
+10

We recently moved into our house so all of our furniture seems a little big for the space we have now but aren’t at a place financially to replace it. I need ideas on how best to rearrange what we have

• Kathy Gunter Law

How about the couch lines up with the corner of the hallway opposite the fireplace? That would almost extend the wall. Then move the love seat to the wall under the photos and the recliner under the cross. Perhaps you could move the glider and footstool to another area.

• Mogie

I just rearranged the furniture in my front room a few months ago. The big help for me was to NOT but everything along the walls. Use the couch as a way to divide the area into zones. The couch could divide the hall area from the front room more. A throw rug would be nice. Book cases would add some height. What is your accent color going to be? Red or burnt orange would look good.

• FrugalFamilyTimes.com

Could you make an L shape with the two couches - one against the side wall and the other facing the fireplace? Is there room to make a walkway behind the couch that faces the fireplace vs pushing it up agains the wall? That would make it a bit cosier. Maybe just one chair beside the fireplace, too?

• Nan W.

Lacey: Your new home has many lovely components... nice floor and great vaulted ceiling!

I would do a couple of things... probably get rid of one of the chairs, get an area rug to "ground" the space, put larger art piece/pieces on wall and lower them a bit. (HUGE disparity between tiny frames on big wall and big furniture!). (The frame arrangement would look better on the clock wall... simply swap them out.)

You may even (if you can score an inexpensive rug --- try overstock.com) paint the wall behind the large sofa with a neutral color from the rug. A can of paint is quite inexpensive -- and a big pop of personality for a bland-colored room.

You have no tables or lamps. A couple of those would pull the room together. Go to thrift stores... and don't be afraid to "upcycle" what they have. Check out my coffee table post: https://www.hometalk.com/44255352/1960s-coffee-table-into-2020

Good luck and welcome home!

:-)

• Deb K

Hi Lacey, you can make this look wonderfully cosy by making the fireplace the centre of attraction and mounting the TV above the fireplace or off to one side, face the couch towards the fireplace and place a nice area rug there

• Cynthia H

I have two couches facing each other with a love seat in between (like a U). I have an ottoman in the middle. That is what I have until we can afford new furniture. The one couch has it's back facing the rest of the room. It helps define the area. Create a seating area with what you have.

• Dwp7470b

I'd swap the Loveseat with the Chair and caddy corner the Love Seat.

• Lacey Dianne

Thank you all for the great comments and ideas. I know what I will be doing Saturday! 😁

• Tinyshoes

Lacey...I would move furniture to wall across fro fireplace. Also larger picture on wall or lower what is there. Maybe a bookshelf on that wall...nice area rug would probably bring area together. Good luck..send a picture after you rearrange to let us see what you did..thanks.

• Beth

I think that part of the reason the furniture looks so big is that the walls are relatively plain. I think if you added some tapestries or fabric, or perhaps some paneling to break up the wall and add some more decoration there, your room would look much more cozy. Try looking at thrift shops for some nice frames and fabric that you can use to decorate your walls.

• Rymea

Make an L with the two couches. Put the smaller couch against the wall where the larger one is now. Leave a walking space along the wall with the clock. You have one too many chairs for that space. Hopefully you can move the larger chair to another room.

• Dee

Hi Lacey:

Seems you need some continuity in the room. For one thing you need to move the pictures down or get some larger art for that wall. I have a cathedral ceiling and found some beautiful artwork at Kirkland’s. Home Goods has some too. The photos are just too small for that area. Or move the clock to that wall. Or put the TV on that wall. I would take the smaller chair and find a new home for it in another area of your home, perhaps a bedroom or office.

I would arrange the sofa and love seat in” “L shaped. Bring the love seat away from the vent and move the love seat to center it on that wall. You can put something in the corner triangle of those 2 pieces. You also need some color in that room, everything is so dark. Reds, blues would brighten it up. I absolutely love your floors.

• Maura White

What is the focal point of the room? Is there a TV on the opposite wall of the couch? I would have the couch facing the focal point - either a TV or fireplace.