Asked on Feb 10, 2020

How do I get the garden tub to prime so the jets will work?

Simple Nature DecorCynthia HMogie
+11

It hasn't been used in several months, the motor makes the correct noise when the button is pushed but no water comes out of the jets. I have all the water intakes completely covered but no water moves. Any suggestions?

Hi Karen: Something may have built a nest in the jets, or something may be lodged in there. If you can remove them and either dip them in white vinegar or stick a pin or something inside to see if they are clear, that should help. Good luck

• Janice

Some thing may be blocking the intake area of your pump and stopping it from working correctly. Have you checked the pump itself?

• Karen

I am having difficulty accessing it behind the tiled wall. Thank you!

• Chloe Crabtree

I am guessing that something is blocking the intake to your pump. You will have to check that.

• Karen

Very difficult to access the working parts because of the installation. Thank you!

• Johnavallance82

Hi Karen,

Have you cleaned out the jets? That could be your answer! Full of calcium......

Best wishes. Sometimes a Darning needle will help..........

• Karen

I will definitely check that we do have high calcium content in our water. Thank you!

Make sure there is water going to the pump or the pump is blocked or not working.

• Karen

I have checked the water and the pump appears to be working. Thank you!

• Mogie

This is slightly off topic but this site explains how to prime a hot tub pump (don't know if this helps):

Step 1

Shut down the hot tub. Turn off the power at the wall. Look for a breaker box within a few yards of the hot tub if there isn't an apparent hot tub circuit in the home's principal circuit breaker set. Many codes require a switch near the hot tub. It will be in a weatherized box—usually gray.

Step 2

Take the handle off the massage selector that's supplied by the pump you need to prime. Many hot tubs have more than one pump. You can tell which one needs priming because that'll be the one that supplies the failed jets.

Step 3

Turn the massage selector's cap counter-clockwise a little. Listen for seeping air. You should hear it hiss.

Step 4

Turn the massage selector cap clockwise to tighten it when the hissing stops. Turn it finger tight. The hot tub pump is now primed. Turn on the hot tub and test. Repeat Steps 1 to 4 with any other problem jets.

• Karen

This is a garden bath tub, but this is a good site for a hot tub. Thank you!