Asked on Feb 24, 2020

How can I organize coats in a new home?

Lindsay AratariAimeeChristina Faye Repurposed
+10

My family is getting ready to move into a fantastic house, but I'm stressing the closets are in second floor bedrooms... so I am dreading my chairs all becoming coat racks! The entry hall is to narrow for a free standing closet (my first plan) so trying to come up with a solution that looks nice, doesn't clutter/ block a narrow hall, yet handle both our coats for quick access and guests for both adults and kids outdoor gear/ back packs. Help!

• Laura Cooper

What about a mirror with coat hooks on it that hangs on the wall? We did this in my mom's narrow foyer and it worked well

• Vimarhonor

We lost our foyer closet with a remodel needing it for hvac. We made a custom door hook for our narrow entryway running the length of the wall. Im not sure if that option would interest you. There is an amazing variety of hooks in both sizes and styles at to choose from on Amazon. Certainly a shelf with potential storage baskets could placed on top if desired.

• Flipturn

Making use of the space in between the wall studs with recessed hooks is a floor-space-saving idea, practical for a narrow hallway.

Here are a couple of examples.

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/24629129184195924/

q find a home for coatsq find a home for coats
  • Aimee

I would love to do something built into the walls, the walls just aren't thick enough for something like that. Already thinking I will need shelves/ bins for things like mittens and hats in the winter and rotate out for ball caps, sun screen, and shades come summer. I use a bin by my front door now for that and outdoor toys so it looks nice when people visit but easy access to grab and go.

• Flipturn

How do you know that the wall is not deep enough to recess hooks such as in the example on the right? Is the home not standard construction?

What is on the other side of the wall? Is there any chance of 'pushing out' into the adjoining room to gain deeper space?

• Peggy Burnette

Hi Aimee, sorry you are stressing about your family and guest coats. Hope this will help you. Good luck in your new home. Where should I hang the coats if my hallway is tight for space?

• Install a hanging rack. Just because your space is tight doesn't mean it's a write-off; it just means you have to use it more efficiently. ...
    • Choose a coat stand. ...
    • Go under the stairs. ...
    • Use the back of the door. ...
    • Convert your hot press. ...
    • Create a 'mud room'

Mar 15, 2019

Where should I hang the coats if my hallway is tight for space?

www.thejournal.ie › where-to-hang-coats-small-hallway-4542681-mar20...

• Lauren of Mom Home Guide

We have a narrow front entry with no closet. I put a coat rack on the wall and use a narrow bookshelf with cloth bins for shoes. You can see it here: https://momhomeguide.com/spring-entry-way-reveal/

• Linda Sikut

Hi Aimee,

Something like this looks clean and doesn't take up a lot of room. You can adjust the size and color to fit your home. Wishing you the best.

https://www.erinspain.com/how-to-build-a-wall-mounted-coat-rack/

• Kathy Gunter Law

Perhaps you can add hooks to the wall. You can stagger them in a diamond pattern so that you utilize higher and lower heights. I did behind the door at our farmhouse and it's great without taking up otherwise valuable space.

• Tinyshoes

Aimee...Can you use a wall hanger with each hook being double?

• Christina Faye Repurposed

Even though the entryway is narrow, could you possible use a piece of wood, paint, stain it and then add hooks and attach it to the wall?

• Aimee

I was hoping to do more than just hooks on the wall. When you walk in, my office will be right to the right so if needed I can make part office part mud room, but as a full time work at home, I am avoiding that option. My concern with hooks is it will look messy quick, especially in winter or when needing to change jackets with the weather... winter one day... lighter the next... followed by winter again lol... just worried about clutter.

• Lindsay Aratari
    14 minutes ago

Can you hang hooks on the wall?