Asked on Apr 3, 2020

Hostas

LadybugDeb KJohnavallance82
+13

Thanks to everyone for your helpful answers about transplanting Hostas ! I was just wondering if there is anyway of just by looking at them, to tell if they are all green ones or if they are green & white ? They have gotten mixed up over the years.......Thanks.....

• Chloe Crabtree

You will have to wait until they come up just a little further to be sure.

• Ken Erickson

Only way I know is to let them grow.

• Tinyshoes

Madeline...you are so welcome

Not until the leaves grow out

• Carrie @ Curly Crafty Mom

You'll be able to tell as soon as the leaves grow out.

• Redcatcec

Wait for the leaves, that will be the give-away on what you have. Maybe if 1 end of your Hosta row was a certain leaf pattern and the other end another pattern, that might help. Or if you have a picture of them when they had grown.

• Cheryl A

once they leaf out you can still transplant them I have done it for years then you can decide if you want them all planted by color

• Vimarhonor

No way unfortunately —it’s hard to tell —until they pop open and open up like an umbrella to see what you have.

• Cindy

Hi Madeline. Your hostas need to grow out some more for you to know what color and what size they will be. Hostas come in many colors and many different sizes.

• Em

Hostas are pretty tough. Spring and fall are the best times to move them. Let a few small leaves open to tell and you can still move them when they are sprouting leaves. This should show any white on the varigated ones so you can tell which is which.

• Em

I dig a circle around the mass about 4-6" from where they are poking out of the ground. Cut a complete circle the depth of the shovel, standing on the shovel to make sure it goes straight down. You should be able to lift it then.

• Johnavallance82

Hello again,

Only by letting the leaves unferal a bit. It won't matter if you wait a bit pot u and when you know - add a label to the plant/bed. Happy gardening.

• Deb K

Hi Madelaine, I don't think you can look at the rhizomes and tell weather it's variegated or not, but you could move them after the growing season when you know what they look like, but I have included a link to the Hosta library for you to check out

http://www.hostalibrary.org/

• Ladybug

I suggest you don’t worry about what color they are. Mixing them in flower garden is what I would do. The color waould be beautiful.