Trash to Treasure - How I Re-purposed an Old Silverware Box

$15
1 Day

I love wooden boxes and when I ran across this wooden silverware box, I decided it could be used as a stationary box or storage for our remote controls. However, it didn't fit with my decor so I decided it needed a makeover. If you enjoy before and after makeover’s, you may want to click here!

Remove all the hardware.

I began by removing all the hardware and storing the reusable pieces to the side.

Remove all the inside dividers and felt.

This was a fairly easy step although a little dusty.

Clean out the inside of the box.

The inside of the box wasn't solid wood and the residue of glue had left it undesirable. You never know what you might find under all that felt.

Fill screw holes with wood filler.

I filled the holes, where the plate was screwed to the top, with some wood filler. Once that was dry, I gently sanded this area until it was smooth using a fine grit sanding block.

Spray Paint the reusable hardware and Paint the Exterior of the Box

I decided to reuse the side handle hardware. These pieces were rusty, so I sprayed them with a coat of Rust-Oleum Gloss Black Spray Paint.

I painted the exterior of the box with 2 coats of Old White Chalk Paint, and after the paint dried, I sanded the edges with a fine grit sanding block. Then I used Annie Sloan Clear Wax to seal the paint. For information on painting and sealing with wax, click here.

Decide how to cover the inside of the box.

I had originally thought I would paint the inside! Since the insides of the box were not smooth and the finish was undesirable, I decided to add old torn hymnal pages to cover the rough interior. This was just something I had on hand and didn’t have to go buy. This step would work and would look very nice with any extra wall paper, lovely stationary, magazine pages, etc.

Apply the music page strips with mod podge

I used mod podge to adhere the torn music pages to the interior of the box. After the pages were dry, I applied another coat of mod podge over the surface to seal the pages and give it a smooth finish.

Install hardware

I ordered replacement drawer pulls and a label holder pull from D. Lawless Hardware. The label holder drawer pull for decorative purposes only. I used card stock to make a label and hand lettered the word Cards.

Decide what you want to use your box for.

I decided to use this box for storing my stationary, stamps and other office supplies. I'll be interested in hearing how you use your re-purposed box.

Re-purposing furniture is one of my favorite projects. Check out this fun makeover.

Get Ready For The Baseball Season With These Great Projects
15 Decor Projects That Will Make Your Home Beautiful
18 Beautiful Crafts For The 4th of July
Upgrade Your Backyard With These 30 Clever Ideas
20 Ways To Make Your Own Personalized Clock
16 Stunning Sign Ideas You Can Make for Your Home
Rachel The Ponds Farmhouse

• D
    D

I'm a hymn-lover. I treasure my hymn books that came from our childhood church, and church camp as a kid, and I have even collected several as an adult pianist. They are my go-to at the piano when I need solace and reassurance. Fortunately they are all still intact except a page or two a grandchild enjoyed.😉 I have a lifetime of old music collected too. I can see using some of it to back a shelf or as a lining too. Have you had any problems with mod-podge attracting glue-loving insects over time? Thank you for sharing. I have 2 single tiered boxes. I think one will become a remote caddy! 😁

• Linda
      Linda

If you don't want to tear up your books, make copies of your favorite pages and use them. You could tea stain them to make them look old.