Dollar Store Canvas Print *Upgrade*

$3

I love decor, but at the same time I have a hard time paying high dollars for a simple wood "rustic" framed canvas print. While rooting around at mi casa #2 (*ahem*.... Dollar Tree!) I found several canvas prints that caught my eye. My first thought was a nice gallery wall with one or two of the prints added as an accent, but after seeing numerous framed canvas prints online, I felt that these prints needed something to "fancy" them up a bit. I had plenty of scrap wood and a new Ryobi nail gun that I was itching to try out!! Here is what I came up with for one of them.

Needed Materials

You will need one canvas print from your local dollar store. You will also need one piece of scrap wood. The thickness and depth of the frame will vary based upon how you want your frame to look and what size scrap wood you have. This particular board is a 1"x3"x18" piece of oak. You will need a means of cutting the wood to size and something to connect the boards to the frame (nails, hot glue, etc). An optional last material is wood stain.

*Optional Step*

Using a table saw I ripped the boards down into thin strips.

Marking the Corners

I then marked the corners so that I knew exactly where to make my miter cuts.

This is a close-up of the mitered cut. As you can see the miter matches up with the point of the corner.

Miters!

Miters are complete. Whew!

Nail It!

After much trial and error I found that standing the canvas up vertically and nailing from the inside worked best. As an alternate, you can hot glue the pieces into place.

Add Finish/Finished?

The last step I took was to add a stain to the wood frame. This step is optional.

Complete!

I feel like this upgraded Dollar Tree canvas art adds just want I needed on my kitchen wall!

1 comment