DIY Painted Planter

$10

I’ve recently become brave enough to take on the responsibility of house plant mama. This is a pretty big deal for me since I tend to be one of those who somehow manages to kill every form of plant life I come I contact with.

Every spring I tend to feel ready to take on new life. Always in the form of a plant and always around Mother’s Day. This year I feel more determined than ever to try a new avenue to see if I can somehow become successful. Wise decision? I suppose we shall see.

If you enjoy my blog content I would love for you to check out my day to day woodworking projects, home inspiration and real time DIY on Instagram! You can also find more details for this project over on THIS blog post.

www.hautehouselove.com

Materials Needed:

• Terrecotta Pot:  (Be sure to choose a pot with a drainage hole. Painting the pots will seal the pourers that help drain water in the first place)
  • Paint Brushes: (I used a variety that I had on hand. Inexpensive, throwaway chippy brushes work perfectly for this project)
  • Paint of Choice in 3 colors: (I have tried this with leftover acrylic, chalk type and latex paints that I have already on hand and all seem to work well.)
  • Sealant: (I love this spray sealant but Polycrylic that you can brush on will work fine too)
  • Drop Cloth or Old Towel

Paint tends to dry quickly on Terre-cotta so having everything out and ready is key to success with this particular technique since

Place towel or drop cloth in your work area. Lay out the paint you will use and choose one paint brush for each color. Then choose two other paint brushes to use as your “blending” brushed. Lay them in between your single color brushes.

www.hautehouselove.com

Start Painting: 

NOTES: You will have the best results if you work from lightest color to darkest color. Also terra-cotta pots tend to soak in paint quickly I chose to work on one side at a time.

• Step 1: Apply a thick coat of paint in the lightest color to one side of the pot.
  • Step 2: Immediately add second (medium shade) color below it, slightly overlapping the light shade.
  • Step 3: While both paint colors are still wet, take your blending brush and blend the lighter color into the darker color. Add more paint as needed and blend until you get an even mixed look. 
  • Step 4: Add third (dark shade) color to the bottom of the pot, slightly overlapping the medium shade.
  • Step 5: Repeat step 3 with medium and dark shades.

When you are happy with the colors/shading allow to dry and move onto the next side of the pot. Repeat steps until all sides are covered.

When painting is finished allow to dry and seal with spray sealant or two coats of polycrylic. Finally, transfer your plant babies into their new homes with indoor safe potting soil.

This project is so easy with its minimal materials and quick drying time. I would love for you to leave a comment or tag me on Instagram if you decide to try this project for yourself!!

www.hautehouselove.com

• Katrina Waldleitner

Could these be used outdoors or will the paint (chalk) not hold up?

• MJH

Thanks for the information. I didn't see your response before I wrote my question