Asked on Jun 13, 2020

Fan speeds vs energy consumption? ?

BetsyMaura WhiteCheryl A
+10

Does it save any electricity to run ceiling fans, box fans, dehumidifiers, etc on a lower speed?

• Peggy Burnette

Hi this is Peggy, hope this helps you with speeds of fan vs energy consumption.

Does a fan running at high speed consume more electricity ...

www.quora.com › Does-a-fan-running-at-high-speed-con...

Oct 20, 2017 - Hence capacitor type regulators paved the way for least power consumption while regulating . Thus electric fan consumes more power when operating at higher speeds as they draw more current from the supply. We know that P=VI× p.f. Hence more current means more power is consumed.

• Flipturn

Keep in mind that turning on any appliance or item that runs on electricity takes more energy to initially 'fire it up' than continually running it, up to a certain length of time.

This fact of physics disproves the belief that it saves energy to turn on lights only when you are in a room even in heavily used areas of the home. To switch lights off again when exiting the room, only to have another member of the household switch the lights back on again when they enter the room (think bathroom, kitchen, laundry room, etc.) takes more electricity.

If you are anticipating turning the particular fan off and on frequently during a certain time period, then yes, keeping the fan running on low setting will consume less energy overall during the same time period.

• Unique Creations By Anita

Yes it does, a fan uses more powder the faster it goes.

• Mogie

The higher the temp on the thermostat the more energy it takes so the same thing applies to fans. Somewhat also depends on the efficiency of the particular unit you are referring to also.

Older units can take more electricity then new more energy efficient ones.

Any unit will use more energy the more it is turned up.

• Vimarhonor

Hello, Yes it does, your suspicion is correct.

• From what I've read, yes.

Of course. The higher the speed the the more amperage is needed to run. Thus the higher the cost.

• P

Don't know about speeds on fans, but do know they only cool whoever is in front of them so turn them off if no one is in the room!

• Sharon

I always run mine at night with the fan blowing the cool night are into the house, Then close the blinds and curtains and windows when I get up..... keeps it cool until evening.

• Cynthia H

Check the energy usage listed in the owner's manual. I only run them when I am in the room, because unless you're pulling in cooler air through through a window or exhausting air, there is no benefit to circulating the air when no one is there. Good luck and stay!

• Cheryl A

Hope this info helps you out..

https://www.nrel.gov/docs/fy03osti/29166.pdf

• Maura White

I agree with william - if the fans need to fun faster, then yes, you are pulling more electricity to run them.

It may, but it's negligible. If you have AC, put your box fans in front of the registers so that the cold air blows into the room. Also, close doors of the rooms that you aren't using. I put a bucket under the hose of my dehumidifier to catch the water and use it for my plants. Waste not, want not :) Be sure your ceiling fans are turning the proper way for summer and winter. A ceiling fan should rotate counterclockwise in the summer so that the blades push cooler air down in a column. Good luck