Asked on Jun 18, 2020

How can I paint over laminate that's been painted with oil paint?

Agnes ChrzanowskaHolly Lengner - Lost MomJoy Elizabeth
+13

I got some free cabinets from a doctor's office a while back and they've served me well. They're laminate and I was told at the time I'd need to use oil paint. I did and what a chore that was. Now I want them to be another color and seems I read somewhere that I can prime them and repaint with acrylic. Is this true? Acrylic is soooo much easier! If not true, plz tell me what to do. Is there any special primer to use? I have lots of Kilz so hope that will do.

• GrandmasHouseDIY

Yep you can put acrylic over oil as long the oil paint is in good shape. I would definitely clean them well first and then use a primer before painting. After that you will want to use a sealant over your acrylic paint. Water based paint is easier but its not as durable.

• GrandmasHouseDIY

Hi Louise, the sheen of your paint actually won't matter if you seal it. The sheen on your sealant will be what matters than. Water based sealants are called Polycrylics (I usually use minwax) and I would definitely get at least a semi gloss and do a couple of coats over your paint.

What's nice about the water based sealants is it won't yellow over time and won't discolor your paint. I would definitely hand sand very lightly with fine grit sand paper after your last coat of paint is totally dry and before your first coat of sealant.

• Mogie

Kitchens and bathrooms have always been prime targets for walls and trim painted in high gloss sheens. Brand-name paint producers offered specific paint blends labeled “Kitchen & Bath” which were actually generic paint blends with a high gloss shine. There were two reasons for using high gloss and semi-gloss paint in “wetrooms.” One was to seal wood and drywall to resist moisture penetration. The other was to make cleaning easier as smooth, high gloss surfaces are easier to wipe down and retain their original luster.

• Nan W.

Use a KILS primer before painting with acrylic. Your home improvement center can recommend the best version -- according to your project!

• Dee

Hi Louise, use a good bonding, stain blocking primer such as Kilz or Zinsser 123. Let it dry completely then you can use whatever kind of paint you want. I like eggshell or satin finishes. Get a good paint such as Sherwin Williams, Benjamin Moore or Behr Marquee.

• Janice

Here's some good info from a real pro....

https://www.bobvila.com/articles/painting-over-oil-based-paint/

GrandmasHouseDIY has got it. Clean the cabinets well. Scuff up the surface with a green kitchen scrubby just to remove any shine. Prime with Kilz primer that you have. Then paint. You can use any sheen you want. Seal with three coats of a water based polyurethane. I use Minwax Polycrylic

• Louise

As to the polycrylic, do I have to sand lightly between the last coat of paint and then between each coat of poly? That will take forever!! Do professional painters spend all that time? I'm impatient. :-(

• Robin J. Sherwood

Use kill, it’s an amazing product.

No you don't have to sand the last coat of paint and each coat of poly. Just lightly go over the last coat of paint with a green kitchen scrubby to remove any surface imperfections. Wipe off with a damp cloth. Also the sheen of the poly wiil determine whether you want matte or shiny cabinet surface.

• Homeroad

I would use primer and paint right over the oil paint.

• Lifestyles Homes

Please take the time to read the Kilz cans as there’s at least 4 kinds of Kilz primers.

You’ll want a binding primer and then you have to decide if you want oil-based or water-based primer.

• Joy Elizabeth

As long as you prime with kilz primer first, you will be good with your paint of choice!

• Holly Lengner - Lost Mom

You can ask at your local hardware store for the correct primer and paint for you cabinets. They should know exactly what you need for your project.

• Agnes Chrzanowska

yes, you can use acrylic but you need to make sure all is cleaned up properly