Weed or flower?

+13

Does anyone know what the second picture of the plant is called. Is it a weed? They grow every year next to my phlox plant and look very similar. I usually wind up pulling them out because they don’t bloom as soon as the others. I could be pulling them out too soon If it is a flower. Anyone know if it’s a different variety of a phlox or if it’s just a weed that grows near them???

q weed or flower

Phlox next to unidentified plant

q weed or flower

weed or flower?

• Deb K Deb K on Jul 11, 2020

Hi Sherri, I think it may be Toadflax, it is a wild perennial, yellow & white flowers

• Bridgie Graham Smith Bridgie Graham Smith on Jul 11, 2020

Fire weed because is one of first returning after a blase. they also spread via roving roots.

• Bobbie Bobbie on Jul 11, 2020

Looks like a weed. Found these in my yard popping all over. drew the moisture out of the ground for my flowers. I did away with them!

• Mogie Mogie on Jul 11, 2020

sorry but it looks like a weed almost resembles a gopher plant (at least that is what mine in Oregon look like but the stalks in your photo appear to be thinner).

• Vimarhonor Vimarhonor on Jul 11, 2020

Hello. We discovered that the plant dames rocket looks much like a phlox with a master gardener client inquiry.

Here are some links below to see if this plant matches yours and if you can confirm ID =some information about it.

site:edu dames rocket flower

https://www.wiscontext.org/dames-rocket-invasive-confused-phlox-common-sight-wisconsin

• Maura White Maura White on Jul 11, 2020

If it is dames rocket, then they bloom beautiful purple flowers. But when I first took a glance, it looked like goldenrod to me.

• Cindy Cindy on Jul 11, 2020

Not sure what this plant is. Next time you're pulling weeds, try leaving one or two of them to see what eventually happens. Good luck Sherri.

• Michelle Leslie Michelle Leslie on Jul 12, 2020

Hi there, it does look like a weed. An old gardener friend of ours taught us an amazing trick to try tell if something is a weed. Crush the leaves and if they smell peppery, 9 times out of ten it's a weed.

• CindyB CindyB on Jul 12, 2020

i have this in my yard. I think it is goldenrod. Flowers later in the summer/fall. The bees love it.

• Nan W. Nan W. on Jul 12, 2020

Sherri: It looks like fireweed. (which I happen to think is beautiful)

• Betsy Betsy on Jul 12, 2020

Hi Sherri: Give them a chance to bloom. It looks a bit like wild daisy to me, but hold off on the destruction until you know what they are and decide then, if you like them or not:) Good luck

• Carole Alden Carole Alden on Jul 13, 2020

Could be Phlox, iris, or spiderwart. Get a clouseup if you can or scan the leave and flower of one.

• Unexpected Elegance Unexpected Elegance on Jul 18, 2020

It looks similar to a weed that grows in my yard?

• Homeroad Homeroad on Jul 18, 2020

If it flowers and is beautiful that is all that matters!

• Betsy Betsy on Aug 15, 2021

Hi SHeri: I'd let it bloom and then make the decision to keep it or not. I have a lot of weeds that grow next to my flowers and they try to look like my flowers. But, I have to wait to see if they are an off shoot of my phlox or not or some other flower or weed. Play the waiting game and then take a picture of it so you will remember what it looks like next year.

Good luck