Get baking soda out of carpet?

BetsyKmdreamerVirgie Jaquess
+14

I thought mixing baking soda and water and scrubbing into my carpet to get out stains would be a good idea, but now it just looks really nasty like white stains, and it won’t come out. Any advice would help they’ve been there for about 2 weeks.

• Vimarhonor

Hello has the baking soda fully dried?

Maybe its still wet and thats the problem.

I have used the scented arm and hammer baking soda carpet refresh recently and it vacumned out without problems.

• Nan W.

Harley: You may have to rent a rug cleaning machine. (...would help with the original strains too!)

• Lauren of Mom Home Guide

Maybe you could use a stiff brush to loosen the baking soda and then vacuum it up. Hope it comes out!

• Oliva

If it's dried, and you've gone over the surface with a stiff broom, you should be able to vacuum it out with a beater bar style vacuum, set to an approprite height for your carpet. If you scrubbed the wet mix into the carpet, you'll most likely need to repeat the vacuuming multiple times. Note that you should then immediately change your sweeper bag, and a Hepa filter type does a better job of collecting particulates.

• Carrie @ Curly Crafty Mom

I would let it dry, scrub it with a coarse brush, vacuum it and then try to rinse it with a big soap and lots of water, let it dry and repeat until it is gone.

• Patty

Shampoo your carpets

• Janice

I would vacuum the areas thoroughly once it has dried. Scrub it well with a dry, stiff brush, then vacuum again. Finally, I would use a carpet shampoo machine with just plain hot water to remove the last strace of the baking soda. If the carpet still looks splotchy, do another round of the machine using hot water with white vinegar added. The smell will dissapate within an hour or so and should complete and solve your problem. Good luck!

• Dee

Vacuum it up several times, if that does not get rid of the baking soda you will have to use a carpet cleaner.

The good thing is that the baking soda neutralizes any odors

• Maura White

Get the strongest vacuum cleaner you have and suck that baking soda out of the carpet!!!

• Simple Nature Decor

I would i use a carpet cleaner that you rent from a grocery store

• Mogie

Now would be a good time to steam clean the carpet. Get the old stains and new stains out at the same time.

• Peggy Burnette

Hi Harley, sorry you ended up with a mess. I hope this helps you get your carpet clean. Search Results

Web results

How to Get Baking Soda Out of Carpet | Spot Removal Guide

spotremoval.coit.com › how-to-get-baking-soda-out-of...

How to Get Baking Soda Out of Carpet – Method # 1. Using a clean mixing bowl, mix together 3 parts warm water with 1 part white vinegar. Soak a clean sponge ...

• Kathy Gunter Law

If your vacuum cleaner isn't getting it, I think you will have to use a carpet cleaner to get it all out. Sounds like it's time for a new vacuum cleaner because once it is dry, it should have vacuumed up easily.

• Ken Erickson

Salt is a good cleaner where you get a spill like soda or red wine on a carpet. Pour it on heavily and let it absorb the moisture. Then later vacuum it up. Salt used to be a standard rug cleaner in the olden days.

• Virgie Jaquess

rub area down with white vinegar and water

• Kmdreamer

Have you tried vacuuming the spot that should take it out if not loosen with a falk then vacuumed again you might need to scrub it again with hot water

Ah geeze Harley, that's rotten :( Like the others, it should be dried out by now. Use a stiff brush to loosen it from the carpet and then vacuum. I'd try using just the wand and sucking it up that way. Or you can mix together 3 parts warm water with 1 part white vinegar. Soak a clean sponge in this solution and apply the sponge directly to the baking soda stain. Place pressure on the affected area with a dry towel. Repeat until the baking soda stain disappears. Good luck.