Boring and Flat to Cozy and Elegant.

$800

Don’t have a fireplace in your home? Want one but don’t want a major renovation?

This fireplace wall was fairly easy to do and it transformed the space so much. It’s crazy how cozy a fireplace can make a space, even if it’s only and electric one.

Follow along with me and I will show you how I transformed a boring flat wall into a “stone” fireplace.

The boring before
The Before

I feel like most would agree with me and think it’s safe to say this space was a bit on the boring side and could use some TLC.

I first decided how big I wanted the fireplace wall to be and now I wanted it to look. My wall was going to be 6’ long, would go floor to ceiling and it would have a mantel. I also decided I was going to have a space for my tv to be inset into the wall so that it didn’t stick paste the stone when it was mounted. I wanted a clean streamline look when you looked at it from the side.

Now that was all decided it was time to get building the frame.

Materials and tools needed
  • 2x2 lumber
  • one 2x8
  • OSB sheeting
  • quality Stone Simply White
  • drywall compound
  • white paint to match stone(comes with stone)
  • drywall screws
  • 3/4” pine for mantel

Tools

• mitre saw
  • drill
  • small trowel
Let’s get started

I used 2x2’s to frame out the wall. I did not feel it was necessary to use any heavy set material since it wouldn’t really be supporting any weight and the stone wasn’t heavy at all since it was faux stone.

I did put a 2x8 support along the bottom however to add a bit of stablitly since my fireplace would be sitting in there.

Once I had the shell of it all framed out, I sheeted it in with OSB.

I am the type of person who needs to visualize stuff as I go, so I placed the fire place in to see how it was going to look. I loved it so, it was time to carry on with installing the stone.

Stone installation time

Now onto making it pretty. The faux stone I used was quality stone. It is an amazing product. It not only looks real, but it’s super easy to install.

When installing the first row, be sure it is level. Don’t go with the floor, as most floors are not perfectly level. Use a drill and drywall screws and secure to OSB . Be sure to not over tighten the screws.

Once the first row is install, simply carry on upward until you get to the ledge for the mantel.

Tackling the corners

For the corners, to save some money, I did not purchase any corner pieces, I just cut the panels at a 45 degree angle and matched them up as best I could.

Don’t worry if there are spaces like this right now or if you can see the cut.

The mantel

For the mantel, I simply use 3/4” pine panelling and built a hollow box. I used a belt sander to give it a slightly distressed look and stained it in golden oak stain. Once the Mantel is on, you can carry on with the stone since it will sit over top of the back portion of the mantel.

Finishing in the corners

Once you have all the stone up. Now it’s time to finish off those corners. I used drywall plaster to fill in the gaps. It doesn’t have to be perfect since imperfections blend in the with texture of the stone panels.

Once all the corners are filled, allow to fully dry. Then take a small paint brush and use the color matching touch up paint that comes with the stone and paint over the plaster.

Now, the project is almost done. I secured my fireplace and added a few carriage bolts into the ends of the mantel to give it a little detail.

Stand back and admire your new fireplace wall

I know this isn’t a super quick project, it did take me a few days to complete. But honestly, I couldn’t be happier with how this turned out.

I know many will be wondering how I will access the outlets if needed, the tv is on a wall mount so can be pulled out easily and you can access the plugs that way, and the fire place can be removed with two screws that’s secured it on the top. So if needed I will be able to pull it out easily to get to the outlets.

It brings so much warmth to my living room.

thanks so much for following along with me. if you have any questions please don’t hesitate to ask.

Dont forgot to follow along with me on here (Hometalk) as well on INSTAGRAM

cannot wait for the next DIY

xo

Amber

15 Ways To Upcycle And Create More Storage At The Same Time
20 Ways To Improve Your Drop Cloth
22 Ideas To Make Your Terracotta Pots Look Oh-So-Pretty
The Best Nautical Home Decor Ideas To Try Right Now

• Sean Colangelo
    Sean Colangelo

The product you used looks 3-d but you referenced a product from Amazon that is wallpaper. Which is it?

• Amber (elk island rustics)
      Amber (elk island rustics)

Yes, sorry about that. I don’t know why It linked to the wall paper. The product I used was a 3D stone. It’s a quality stone product.

• Jeff Dollo
    Jeff Dollo

Looks fantastic! I have a question. In the finished photo, it looks like the bottom half (below the mantle) is slightly wider than the top half. But in the pictures of the wood framing, they are even. Did you add something that isn't shown in the framing pictures to widen up the bottom half for that look?

• Amber (elk island rustics)
      Amber (elk island rustics)

Hi! They are the same width. The photo angle makes it look wider, I had to double check for myself after you said that because is definitely does look wider in the photo. But just the angle.I’ll try attach a picture to show it better.

• Austen Whitaker
    Austen Whitaker
    5 hours ago

LOVE THIS! My wife and I have been looking for a design we like to fit our tv and a fireplace, and this one is the winner. Can I ask how high the mantle is from the floor?