Wire Shelving Makeover

$40

Moving into a builder grade home, we had these ugly wire shelves in every closet. After a year of living with them, I decided it was time for a little face lift. I didn't want to spend very much money on this so I had to get creative.

I've seen this done a few different ways. I saw a few examples using foam board and contact paper but I wanted something more sturdy. A few others I've seen used wood and a wood router, but we don't have one of those. That lead me to this method! I wound up going with underlayment because it was sturdy, lightweight, and cheap. It also can be easily painted or stained. If I were to do the project again, I would make a few small changes which I've outlined below, but overall it was definitely a success.

The whole makeover only cost $40. I also "shopped my home" for some organizational items to make the space a little better to look at (i.e. baskets, turntables, etc.).

What you'll need:

1/4 in. underlayment (I would use 1/2 in. if I were to do this again)

1/2 in. x 2 in pine moulding (1x2s would be a cheaper option)

1 inch corner brackets

1/2 in. screws

Paint (optional)

Step 1: Measure and plan

First I cleared out my pantry closet and measured my shelves. I had four shelves- each one was 16 in. x 38 in. and I decided I wanted my overhang in the front to be 2 in.

Unfortunately, I couldn't completely do away with the wire supports but I did remove the middle bracket for a cleaner look. If you do this, make sure that your shelves are sturdy enough with just the two supports.

Step 2: Cut materials to size

I used a circular saw to cut the underlayment for the shelf base (four pieces, each 16 in. x 38 in.) and I used a miter saw to cut the moulding for the overhang (four pieces, each 2 in. x 38 in.).

Step 3: Connect shelves

I used the corner brackets to connect the moulding to the underlayment and I pre-drilled all of the holes so I didn't split my wood.

I also had to use scrap pieces and double up the underlayment so that my screws didn’t go all the way through (remember, 1/4 in underlayment and 1/2 in screws). If I were to redo this project I would have gone with 1/2 in underlayment so I could skip this step.

Step 4: Sand and caulk

Because I pre-drilled, I went fully through the underlayment in some places, so I lightly sanded the holes down and filled them in. I also caulked the gap between the underlayment and moulding to create a seamless look.

Step 5: Paint

Once the caulk dried, I painted the shelves

Step 6: Assemble

Next, I just slid the shelves over the wire shelving and restyled/organized!

For only $40 I couldn't be happier with this project. It was an easy, cheap fix for the ugly wire shelving we had before. I liked it so much that I may be doing it again for our linen closet upstairs!

15 Amazing Craft Projects That You Can Do Under 15 Minutes
30 Great Mason Jar Ideas You Have To Try
Try These Gorgeous Ideas And The Mailman Will Never Miss Your Mailbox!
These West Elm Knockoffs Are Pretty Unbelievable
12 Container Garden Ideas to Kick Off Spring
Do You Want to Make Over a Room in Your Home & Add Gorgeous Built-Ins?
Upgrade Your Backyard With These 30 Clever Ideas
Live Life In Color With These Amazing Ideas For Your Home
Check Out These Wonderful Gift Ideas You Can Do All By Yourself
12 Christmas Home Tours You're SO Going To Fall For
Check Out These Wonderful Ways To Decorate Your Plain Mugs