Asked on Aug 9, 2020

Can nubby or tweed-like upholstery fabric be painted?

RedcatcecUnique Creations By AnitaVimarhonor
+8

I’ve seen several posts where upholstery has been painted and would love to try this on an oversized chair and ottoman, but it has a print in a tweedy, textured fabric. Would chalk paint work? Would I need to use a sweater shaver on it first if there are pills, or is there another way to get rid of them?

• Recreated Designs
    Recreated Designs

Hi Glenda, You can paint all kinds of fabric but something to remember is that if that fabric has a pattern it will show through the paint. You could definitely get rid of the pills first and then go for it. I would recommend trying to get a little piece of the fabric (sometimes there is some on the back of the chair or the underside of the skirt) and try it first. This way you will be able to make sure you like how it looks before doing the entire chair.

• Janice
    Janice

Hi Glenda, here's a video which you may have already seen since you mention you've read posts about painting upholstery. I would think if the fabric is worn enough to have pills it would be an excellent idea to shave or cut themm away as much as possible before painiting. Hope this video helps you.......

https://www.apieceofrainbow.com/paint-upholstery-fabric-chair/

• Glenda
      Glenda

Thank you. It says smooth fabrics are best to paint. Back to the search for upholstery fabric. 😕

• Glenda
      Glenda

This one says I can do textured fabric with chalk paint, but I’m. It sure it’s going to be worth how many coats I’d probably need to cover up the print. Thank you for sharing the link.

• FrugalFamilyTimes.com
    FrugalFamilyTimes.com

I’m not sure you’ll be happy with it. It won’t likely be soft enough to feel nice to sit on.

• Morgan McBride
    Morgan McBride

It sounds like it would be really hard to get the paint into the texture properly.

• Vimarhonor
    Vimarhonor

I think this would be a difficult project to consider, much like artist canvas -smooth fabrics accept and hold paint very well.

Where as coarser nubby textured fabrics would have a difficult time feeling all the cells in the weave—- as well as the top texture. I am not sure this is a project I would consider, have you thought about a slipcover?

• Glenda
      Glenda

They’re such an odd size. I haven’t had much luck in the past when I’ve searched for slip covers.

• Unique Creations By Anita
    Unique Creations By Anita

I don't think I would. It will become all hard and would be uncomfortable to sit on.

• Redcatcec
    Redcatcec

Annie Sloan makes a good product for painting chairs, you might want to contact them and ask if their paint would work on your project.

www.anniesloan.com