Best way to clean the carpet against baseboard??

+27

I have kept my off white carpet spotless and clean (cats and all) in several rooms of our house. However, we are downsizing, so I want it perfect. There is at least an 1/4" of soil (black) my machine would not reach. Driving me crazy. Has anyone used OxyClean, Ajax soap, Window cleaner, and rubbing alcohol ( small amts. -tbs,) mixed then with hot water and then spray/scrub/suck up water, then repeat until clean?????? Other success mixtures or techniques you can share???? Thanks, Cindy

• My carpet shampoo machine does the same thing. I scrub mine by hand using carpet shampoo and a rubber brush. Then dry with a towel.

• Cindy Stearns Cindy Stearns on Aug 30, 2020

Thank you. Have several rooms, and many wonderful responses, so it is a win/win! Much appreciated. Cindy

• Dee Dee on Aug 25, 2020

I scrubbed mine with a brush. But I made the mistake o fusing all of the above on my carpet. And guess what it got down to the pad and now the pad will not dry. I am going to have to replace my carpet in 2 rooms. Be careful and let everything dry thoroughly before cleaning a second or third time

• See 1 previous
    • Dee Dee on Aug 30, 2020

Yes that is exactly what to do. Make sure not to get the pad too wet with the carpet cleaner. I cleaned with Hot water, and sucked it up. Used a fan but the pad never dried. What a mess.

• Recreated Designs Recreated Designs on Aug 25, 2020

I know exactly what you mean. Carpet cleaners need the same skinny attachments as vacuum cleaners. I just scrub mine with a handbrush and some dawn soap and water mixed in a little bucket.

• Nan W. Nan W. on Aug 25, 2020

"Elbow grease" is the best cleaner. You've got this!

• See 1 previous
    • Nan W. Nan W. on Aug 30, 2020

Get well soon!!!

• Cynthia H Cynthia H on Aug 25, 2020

What worked for me, was brushing as much hair as possible around the baseboards out of the carpet. A damp microfiber cloth is amazing. Then, after vacuuming all that up, I used the upholstery attachment for my rinse and vac and it was clean again! This held true on my very light rugs and a gray rug. I had no idea how much crap clung to that space! Good luck and stay safe!

Thanks, Cynthia. Sort of my plan, though your additional of the damp microfiber will be in my bag of tricks.

• William William on Aug 26, 2020

Don't mix any chemicals they may react with each other and create harmful fumes. Best solution is carpet cleaner and a scrub brush. You can even try some foaming carpet cleaner.

• Zard Pocleeb Zard Pocleeb on Aug 26, 2020

A brush would work well as the others have posted. Another option would be a high quality Dust Buster. I bought one that was over $100 and it has lots of power (suction). It also has a foldout brush. I use it not only on the carpet next to the baseboards, but also for the tops of them as ours are flat and tend to collect dust.

• See 2 previous
    • Cindy Stearns Cindy Stearns on Aug 31, 2020

I get it. When I bought my first home @ 24, would buy nothing but black and decker. My Dad I had the best collection of garden tools (better than his) he had ever seen. Be well.

• Maura White Maura White on Aug 26, 2020

I would just try oxiclean alone! That stuff took out red wine out of a white sweater!

• Lauren of Mom Home Guide Lauren of Mom Home Guide on Aug 26, 2020

I have carpeting that also gets dirty against the baseboard - the dust or dirt accumulates there and the vacuum doesn't reach it. I am often able to get the dirt up just by rubbing it with a damp paper towel, or with a damp paper towel with a little bit of soap on it.

I think running the upholstery brush up against the baseboards regularly would be a good way to keep that area clean, too.

• See 2 previous

Funny girl. Actually, I got a job @ 13, cleaning for the woman I babysat for. I always go barefoot, so I can tell when my wood floors need me. BTW- The oxyclean recommended on this site was the answer. Finished office, then went to living room @ 12:00 midnight. Guess I am hooked. Be well.

• Kmdreamer Kmdreamer on Aug 28, 2020

Yes I would hand scrub then suck up dirt

• Can you use a small attachment on a steamer? That's usually what I use to get the tough spots. No chemicals...

Unfortunately, I have only an upright wood steamer and a regular carpet clearner with several attachements. So, are you saying you use no form of cleaning agent, but just a steamer?