Asked on Sep 2, 2020

How to get an outdoor rug to dry quickly after it rains?

DianeMorgan McBrideSharon
+12

My outdoor deck rug takes forever to dry after it rains. I put an outdoor rug pad under it, but it still takes a long time to dry. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I can’t roll it up as there is furniture on it and it is too big. The deck has spaces between the boards so that isn’t the issue. It is a high quality rug. I have had several rugs over the years and this has always been an issue.

• Gk

You could try to vacumn it with a shop vac or a carpet cleaner that will suck up all the excess water from it. You don't mention what your rug is made from and what kind of pile it has but it may be that it is just not suited to where you have it. You may have to invest in a different kind of rug that doesn't absorb as much water.

Hi Diane: Yeah, that pad is holding the water. Try removing it. Also, maybe an outdoor vacuum that sucks up water would help. Not your indoor vacuum, you will ruin it and maybe you too! :O It takes a bit of time and going slow to vacuum up the water, so patience is definitely needed here. Is it an outdoor rug? If not, that could be the problem, too. Anyway, try this and good luck.

• Chloe Crabtree

I would remove the rug pad, that is only holding water beneath your rug. Use a wet/dry shop vac to suck up the water or set out a fan to dry it more quickly.

• Kathy Gunter Law

I think the pad is your issue. If you are concerned about it slipping, only put strips or small sections to hold in place so the air can circulate through the rug.

A shopvac or other wet vacuum can speed the process but what a pain!

• Sounds like it’s made of a very thirsty material. Is it meant for outdoors? If you can’t get it into the sun, you’re going to run the risk of it molding. You might consider a different, faster drying one.

• Diane

I actually put an outdoor rug pad under it because it was soaked without it. Either way it gets soaked. The rug is a rug specified for outdoor Deck/patio use. It is polypropylene. It is the third one I have had and all of them remain wet for a day or two after it rains. I live in the NE so we don’t have a lot of humidity.

• Deb K

Hi Diane, it seems to me that you may be using an indoor carpet as outdoor carpets are tightly woven to repel water and therefore dry very quickly, you can hang it in the sunlight to speed up the progress, but ultimately you need to purchase and outdoor carpet that won't get saturated from the the rain, sorry I can't offer more to you

• Flipturn

Is the rug 100% polypropylene or is it also part nylon? If so, this could be part of the reason why it is retaining water.

Another factor could be how damp/dry and how much air circulation the area under the deck gets. If this area is always damp, cool, or in the shade, the moisture/humidity from under the decking could be preventing the carpet on the deck from drying out quickly.

• Johnavallance82

Hi Diane,

Hang it over a line and let it drip till dry! Maybe it is an inside rug and not an outside one!!

• FrugalFamilyTimes.com

Maybe it's the rug pad holding so much water? I don't know that outdoor rug pads are helpful.

• Kmdreamer

Put it over the railing when it rains to dry it will dry faster then lay it down when dry you could scotch gard it to it won’t get so wet to that way

• Bonny

Hang it over a railing,to st the under side can dry. Needs sit to circulate through it I under pad may feel cushioned. But remember it takes time to dry also. So U have two layers to dry. have to dry seperately

• Sharon

Hang it over a railing or fence, give a blow dry with your leaf blower to get the excess water out.

• Morgan McBride

Hang it over the fence or a railing

• Diane

Thank you for your responses all! It is an 11’ X 14’ rug with heavy furniture on it. Hanging it over a fence or railing isn’t an option. If it were a small rug, that would work great. But to do so at my age every time it rains isn’t going to happen.😂