Wait Until You See This Trick for Creating a Vintage Duvet - Coffee!

$5

Do you love the look of vintage linens? But not the price?

I found the trick to creating vintage linens - cold coffee and a washer!

The Before: A fun duvet and shams with the map of old NYC - from H&M.

The After: A stunning vintage-look duvet. And all it took was one pot of cold coffee and the washer.

So very easy! With no one more surprised than me at the beautiful results!

Choose your bedding

I used a duvet and shams from H&M - depicts Old NYC but doesn't look very "old."

This trick works best on cotton, linen, and natural fabrics.

Brew a strong pot of coffee

A pot of strong coffee is needed! Brew a pot of coffee and let it steep to cool.

Add the coffee to the washer

Pour the coffee into the detergent dispenser of the washer. Also add a bit of detergent in this step.

Add bedding and wash

Once your bedding, coffee, and bit of detergent are added, set your machine to a normal wash and run it for one cycle.

Hang to dry

After washing, hang your bedding to dry it. It should already look pretty vintage-y but you'll notice the effects more once it's had time to dry.

Make your bed--and enjoy!

Set your bed and enjoy the vintage vibe your new bedding gives to your bedroom!

Adding New Life to Vintage-Inspired Linens.

31 Creative Ways To Fill Empty Wall Space
Check Out These Wonderful Gift Ideas You Can Do All By Yourself
Check Out These Wonderful Ways To Decorate Your Plain Mugs
20 Ways To Improve Your Drop Cloth
20 Easy Projects To Help You Get Ready For Easter
30 Address Signs That'll Make Your Neighbors Stop in Admiration
30 Stylish Update Ideas You'll Want To Use For Your Bedroom
15 Decor Projects That Will Make Your Home Beautiful
3 Great Ideas To Easily Upgrade Your Window
Quick Easter Egg Ideas That Are Just Too Cute
23 Surprising Uses for Curtain Rings
Jeanne

• Emy Joe Bellenfant-Bilbrey

I used coffee to dye my daughter’s flower girl dress “ecru” color. She had worn it “white” 2 weeks before! Got two dresses for the price of one!!!

• Janice Kyle

Thank you for the coffee idea! I will have to try it. Also have you tried tea? It will be a different color then coffee I think won't it?

• Shelly Moore

We have black walnut trees so I have gobs of black walnuts that squirrels chew on and leave all over. When black walnuts are soaked in water they make a very dark liquid, I've been thinking about using that to dye cloth with. I also saw on Home talk how a couple used steel wool in a jar of vinegar to make a stain to make new wood look weathered. Wonder if that might work to dye cloth too? I will be experimenting......😊

This is a Great idea!!! I sometimes buy old tablecloths and such. Some have small stains that this might cover nicely. And just add more coffee to make darker if necessary. My hubby has bought several kinds of coffee he didn't like much. Now it can be supplies for dyeing cloth! 😊 That way it won't go to waste.

• Patti

I prefer to use coffee or tea for an aged looked because I have found using tan fit dye my material has a pinkish hue which I did not like. It was used on 100% cotton white sheets.

• Crystal Hancock

I love organic look of tea and coffee dyed items. I've never tried it in the washing machine though. I've been wanting to do my white bed spread and shams but didn't want to do it in the bathtub...I'm going to try this. Also if you do a vinegar rinse it will set the color and shouldn't fade on the next wash :)

• Jeanne

Hi Crystal - I had no problems with the coffee getting inside the washer. But to be safe, my next wash was with darks.

• Shelly Moore

I have black walnut trees, so I have walnuts everywhere. If they are left in water awhile, they turn the water deep brown. I may try to use Walnut water dye. I also saw on Home talk where a lady used a piece of steel wool, soaked it in vinegar and used the rusty brown liquid left to stain new wood to make it look weathered. Wondering how that would work. With vinegar already in it, maybe it would set it and stain it same time.

• Mcgypsy9

If you use the vinegar and steel wool let me give you a pointer. The 2 items will almost immediately turn to a rust color. If you want rust then use it now. If you want a weathered look, let the mixture sit for longer or weeks before using. Then you will get the weathered look.