Make A DIY Picture Ledge & How To Style It

$20

Is it wrong to sprinkle adorable photos of your kids or gorgeous printables all around your house? If it is I don’t want to be right!

Family photos & beautiful prints really make a home feel cozy, the trick is to display them without it looking cluttered.

I really was a huge fan of the eclectic gallery walls with huge letters & all different frames, but since having Eli I find myself leaning more towards simple.

Let me show you how

Supplies:

Picture Shelf Supplies:

• 1×4 Select Pine Board
  • 1×3 Select Pine Board
  • 1×2 Select Pine Board
  • Stain
  • Pre-Stain (optional)
  • 2″ Screws
  • Wood Glue
  • Small Finishing Nails (optional)

Shelf Size

For my shelves I wanted one longer one (6′) & one shorter (4′)

1. First, pick out nice straight pieces of wood, I used select pine & really looked them over for imperfections. It takes 3 boards per shelf so for my two shelves I bought six boards.

2. Next, I measured my boards & made sure each set was the same length. I only had to cut a 1/4″ off of two of the boards to make them match.

Pre stain

3. Now that the boards are cut it’s time to apply the pre-stain to the wood. I don’t always use pre-stain when I am staining but this picture ledge is going to be a focal point for the room so I want it to be right!

After 1 coat of stain

4. After applying a layer of pre-stain you can immediately apply the regular stain. I went with Minwax Golden Pecan, after using it on our  DIY outdoor table I have become a fan!

Attaching Back & Ledge

After the stain dries you can start assembling! One shelf took me a total of 10 minutes to assemble, I told y’all fastest DIY ever!

5. Start with attaching the 1×3 middle piece to the 1×4 back piece. Use wood glue & clamps to hold the two pieces together.

Securing back & middle

6. From the back of the 1×4 piece, secure the two pieces together using 2″ wood screws.

Attaching front piece

7. Now that the middle & back pieces are attached it’s time to attach the 1×2 to the front. Use a layer of wood glue & clamp them together.

Extra security

The wood glue is probably enough to hold the front & middle piece together because there won’t be any weight on that piece, but I have a toddler so I also nailed in small finishing nails along the front.

Wood Filler

If you do use nails, Minwax makes a stainable wood filler. Apply it to the holes & then do a little touch-up stain along the front.

Attaching the shelves to the wall

This part took me the most time… hanging the frames. As a general rule any picture frame shelf or artwork should be hung at eye level. My first DIY picture ledge is 50″ from the ground & the smaller picture shelf in 17″ from the long one.

I attached the picture wall shelf with a few 2″ screws, making sure to hit studs. Don’t worry about the screws because the picture frames will hide those.

Ta-da

Not bad for a 1 hour DIY picture ledge project!

Check out our easy gallery wall & more DIY wood projects here!

Save Your Old Cans For These 31 Home Decor Ideas
21 Clever Wind Chimes You Can Make
15 Clever Repurposing Ideas That Will Add Some Creativity to Your Home
Instantly Upgrade Your Living Space With These Amazing DIY Ideas
Lia with Southern Yankee DIY

• Susan Feaver Neufeld
    Susan Feaver Neufeld

So, for eye level - whose eye are we using? lol I'm 5 ft nothing and my son is 6'1" - big difference there lol

• Darlene Merritt
      Darlene Merritt

Lol, Susan . My husband was 6’6” and I am 5’5”, so our eye levels were quite different , as well . We just sorta averaged and hung things that looked best to us .

I love this project and really want to try it. I think Home Depot will cut boards , since I am afraid to use a circular saw 😲