Repurposed Packing Tape Trinket Box

$1

We seem to go through packing tape rolls like it's nobody's business  But that's okay, since all those empty rolls can be repurposed into this budget-friendly trinket box.

Simple and easy to make, this bright and beautiful trinket box is made entirely from things you would normally throw away. And it's the perfect size to store all those small, precious objects you've collected over the years. They make great gifts too

To make one you'll need:

• Fabric scraps
  • Large bead (optional)
  • Empty packing tape roll
  • Glue gun
  • Cardboard
  • Small pebble

Place the empty packing tape roll on sturdy cardboard and trace around the outside to make a circle. You’ll need two circles to make this trinket box.

Cut the cardboard circles out and put them to one side. Rip or cut your fabric into long strips about a 1” wide. I had a whole bunch of silky leftover from when we made our “ Peace Dreamcatcher” so I used that. Place one of the strips on the empty packing tape roll and wind the strip up and over as shown below.

Continue winding the fabric around the roll until it’s completely covered. Add a little glue to the end piece and tuck it neatly behind the wound strips.

To make the lid, cut a hole in the centre one of the circles you cut earlier. The size of the hole will depend on the thickness of the fabric you use. Wind the fabric strips through the center hole and around the circle, just like you would if you were  making pompoms in the old-fashioned way.

Once the entire lid is covered, add a drop of glue to the end piece and tuck it neatly underneath the wrapped pieces. To make the knob I glued a few beads onto a pebble........

...... and then glued the beaded pebble onto the lid. For the bottom of the trinket box, simply paint the remaining circle in a coordinating color and glue it on.

And that's it, you quick, easy, budget-friendly trinket box is done.

You can customize your repurposed trinket box any way you want to. I went for vibrant colors but If soft, muted colors are more your style, you can use drop cloth instead. The trinket box would look lovely wrapped in strips of frayed denim too.

I would love to know what you think of this repurpose idea. What fabric would you use to make yours?

15 Bathroom Upgrades That You Can Totally DIY
Grab Some Pool Noodles And Copy These 3 Ideas
15 Genius Hacks to Keep Pests Away
30 Adorable DIY Ideas For July 4th
30 Jaw-Dropping Decorating Techniques You've Never Seen Before
31 Ways To Get Privacy Inside And Outside Your Home
Michelle Leslie

• Hope
    Hope

Hi...

I love the "face"...is it a coconut carving..?

• Michelle Leslie
      Michelle Leslie

Isn't it just beautiful. I don't think it's a coconut. Its bigger and solid all the way through. The street artist I bought it from just said it was a seed.

• SOOZIE
    SOOZIE

Probably any other fabric in jungle prints like leopard or tiger. But, yours is pretty. It really is. It’s youthful and you see, I’m not. Lol. 💕

• Michelle Leslie
      Michelle Leslie

animal prints will definitely work. The trinket box will look so classy and elegant.

• Tinkerbellabell
    Tinkerbellabell

I love the look of the trinket bid. I love the bright colors. It’s really unique how you made this. I have a 13 year old step daughter that’s going to go crazy about this idea. I’m rounding up,lace and ribbons so she San stay busy during her Christmas visit.

• Michelle Leslie
      Michelle Leslie

Oh I think she's going to love making these with you. Have fun and share a picture or two when you guys have made them. I would love to see how they turn out.