Stencil Revolution | Dresser Makeover

$50

This post is sponsored by Stencil Revolution.

When I first saw this oversized three drawer dresser, I immediately saw a vision with stencils! Or some type of art on the drawers. I am so grateful for the opportunity to work with Stencil Revolution being offered one of their great stencils for my project! This was my first time using a stencil on a dresser, so please I'd love to hear your thoughts!

The first step was to sand the dresser. The outside I planned on painting so it only needed a scuff using 60/80 grit sandpaper, than a 220 grit for finishing off before priming. This gives the surface a blank canvas to work with so to speak.

The drawers were a different story! They have 2 layers of veneer over top the natural wood. The natural wood was what I was going for, so I needed to sand sand SAND! This took about 2 hours to get the exact surface of wood underneath. Again I used 60 grit sandpaper for these and it took about 5 discs with my orbital sander.

Here you can see the difference between the veneer and the natural wood. 

Here is everything sanded down and ready for primer! 

Before priming I filled some holes with bondo! And then sanded them down to be flush with the wood. 

Here is the dresser primed! I used a zinsser shellac based primer, this primer is the best to prevent bleed through, I did two coats of primer. 

First coat of paint using dixiebelles dried sage, chalk paint! I love using chalk paint. I find it levels the brush strokes, and adhesion is amazing. 

I did three coats of paint to make sure it was fully covered.

So now it was time to place the stencils on my drawers to see where I wanted them to go!

Once I had them where I wanted them, I used painters tape to hold them in place while I painted them on the drawers!

I used the same colour for stencils as I did for the dresser. I hand painted them with a brush very lightly dangly a decent amount of paint into the stencil. I love how delicate it is, it looked exactly like how I was hoping! 

What I love about stencil Revolutions stencils, was they were super easy to use, the material they were made out of was very durable, so I didn’t have to worry about it ripping, and I 100% can use it again. They are super affordable, so I will definitely be using more of their products.

Here is the dresser drying! I want to leave the drawers natural wood, so I am just going to coat with dixiebelles gator hide, over the drawers and frame.

Here is it with the top coat applied! - all hand painted

Here is the the final product!! 😻

This video file cannot be played.(Error Code: 102630)

Here is a video tutorial of the project!

30 Address Signs That'll Make Your Neighbors Stop in Admiration
3 Cute Step-by-Step Ideas For Unique Planters
3 Wonderful Ways You Can Upcycle Old Windows
These Bathroom Makeovers Might Inspire You To Update Your Own
20 Ways To Improve Your Drop Cloth

• Debi
    Debi

Really, Really nice job! Someday I will try stenciling. ;)

• Melinda Record
    Melinda Record

I absolutely love this look ~ simple and elegant. You did a beautiful job ~ the stencil used on the unpainted wood is such a nice variation for refinishing. In my next furniture "refresh" project, I will definitely be using a stencil ... you've inspired me!

Thank you VERY MUCH for sharing !