Asked on Mar 17, 2021

Fridge not cooling appropriately?

Simple Nature DecorKim  |Exquisitely UnremarkableFrazzledMommy
+14

My three year old Fridgadaire fridge isn't cooling properly. I didn't file the warranty stuff so can't get help from the store where i bought it from. The freezer freezes ice. The fridge is cool but not cool enough. I've increased the temperature and didn't change. What can I do before trying to find repairman?

• Redcatcec
    Redcatcec

Call the company that manufactured the refrig (Frigidaire) with the make and model numbers in hand. They have a customer support line and hopefully can talk you through this situation. You will be doing some basic troubleshooting that most customers can easily handle. Regardless of a warranty, they want you as their satisfied customer.

• Vimarhonor
    Vimarhonor

Hello here is a link with troubleshooting details

https://www.familyhandyman.com/project/fix-refrigerator-problems/

• Contact the manufacturer. They may be able to help even if you didn't file the warranty information.

• GrandmasHouseDIY
    GrandmasHouseDIY

It sounds like pulling the refrigerator out and giving it a thorough cleaning might help a lot. It could just be that the coils are covered with dust bunnies. Here's some more info: https://www.familyhandyman.com/project/fix-refrigerator-problems/

• Cheryl A
    Cheryl A

go online to Fridgedaire website and put in your model and they can help answer questions but you may need a repair man to fix this issue it could be a number of things

• Dee
    Dee

Call the manufacturer most refrigerators are warranted thru the company 5-10 years depending on what is wrong. My friend just had that problem on her 4 year old fridge and the company paid for everything to be fixed. You can also contact Repair Clinic and ask their advise.

• Landon
    Landon

Could it be because the water thing in the back is not working right or someone could have hit something on the back of it that is where all the chords are. What type is it?

• Kathy Gunter Law
    Kathy Gunter Law

I hate to tell you this but this is a common issue with Fridgidaire. I've had 2 refrigerators that I purchased a year apart (my home & MIL's). Each had this issue but it was covered under warranty. In both cases, they refunded my purchase price because it was such an expensive repair. I noticed it when my milk started spoiling 3-4 days after purchase.

• Maura White
    Maura White

I would call the manufacturer directly or even do a google search on the make and model to see if there are tips you can do yourself.

• Mogie
    Mogie

Here is their contact info:

Call Us

1-800-374-4432

Mon-Fri, 8:30am - 8pm (EST)

• Carrie @ Curly Crafty Mom
    Carrie @ Curly Crafty Mom

I would call the actual manufacturer and have them come out. We've had the best luck doing that over just a service/repair man. They have devices they can plug into the fridge to see what is actually going on.

Betsy

Hi Donna: You should have some little openings somewhere on the inside walls, or back interior wall of your fridge, that look like car vents. Try opening these a bit more. There should be a lever to do this.

Good luck

• Sharon
    Sharon

If the warranty would have covered it for 3 years, contact them anyway. But most manufacturer's warranties nowdays are only 1 year, but they will still help you find a good repairman used to working on their product.

You state you are turning the temp up.... you should be turning it down. Have you vacuumed the back and below where the air is sucked in..... I know mine gets quite a bit of cat hair sucked in so I vacuum frequently.

Also check the gasket is sealing properly, place a dollar bill in the opening and close the door over it, then try to pull it out. If it comes out easily, the gasket will need to be replaced.

• Janice
    Janice

You should be decreasing (lowering) the temp gauge not increasing. Be sure to check the coils beneath the ridge to insure it is very clean with no lint or kitchen "goo". Also, does the refrigerator have space surrounding it?

• FrazzledMommy
    FrazzledMommy

Omg I got this one perfect answer. I have this fridge and it will be the death of me but there is a fix the repair man taught us. Take out the fruit and veggie drawers. Behind it there are two holes one in each corner on the bottom . Those freeze over. You need to defrost them. Hot air / steamer worst case a blow dryer. You can feel the ice with your finger. Make sure it’s all gone. Ones that’s good you’re good to go.

• I would call the company. They can also help you troubleshoot things for free sometimes. If they can't fix it, then they will recommend you contact a repairperson. Also, based on the model number and the serial number they can tell you (generally) if you have a warranty.

• Simple Nature Decor
    Simple Nature Decor

I would contact appliance repair could be the coils.