Piece of Veneer popped off of a slant top desk. Help?

+12

I noticed a piece of veneer popped off of a nice slant top desk. I’ve got the piece that popped off, but now I don’t know how to glue it back on. What’s the best method and what do I use. I just want to repair it. Help!

• First, scrape off any remaining dried glue. Apply some wood glue and spread in a thin layer. Reapply the veneer and clamp or put some weight on it until it dries.

• Redcatcec Redcatcec on Mar 18, 2021

Here you go:

Sand the edges of the damaged area with sandpaper to smooth out any roughness. Then, put glue on the fitted patch and fix it into place. Clamp or put a weighted object on top to keep the veneer in place. Leave the repaired area for one to two days, and then lightly sand the edges and the surrounding surface. Refinish the repaired area or the entire surface afterward to get a more seamless blend.

ref:https://www.doityourself.com/stry/how-to-repair-wood-veneer-furniture

• Morgan McBride Morgan McBride on Mar 18, 2021

You can use wood glue and I'd use painter's tape to help hold it perfectly in place while it dries

• Kathy Gunter Law Kathy Gunter Law on Mar 18, 2021

It will depend on where it is located but normally you can just glue it in to place and hold for 24 hours with a clamp. I like to use Elmer's wood glue for this type project. If you can clamp it in place, you will need some way to hold it in place with pressure until thoroughly dry.

• I would remove any glue that is left and then use something strong like Gorilla Wood glue.

• If you can't get the wood to fit you can get strips of veneer to replace the broken piece and use this DIY to fix it. Otherwise I agree with the others, wood glue is best. https://www.hometalk.com/27723655/how-to-repair-damaged-veneer-edging

• Betsy Betsy on Mar 18, 2021

Hi Nancy: My favourite glue is contact cement. Put a thin coat on both pieces and put them together. If you let it get tacky, it will stick right where you put it, so don't let that happen :) If you can hold it down with, say a piece of waxed or parchment paper and then something on top of that to hold it snug over night, you should be o.k. If any of the glue seeps out, you can just wash the paper off and your weight won't stick :)

Good luck

• Sharon Sharon on Mar 19, 2021

I always have good luck with Carpenter's glue on my wood products. Apply some to the veneer back and the desk top, put them together, press snuggly in place and wipe any excess that may squeeze out. Then I either put a weight on it, like a big can of food, or use belts/rope to tie it in place to let dry. Don't use so much glue it is all over the top, a little goes a long way, too much you may have to do a bit of refinishing.

• Lifestyles Homes Lifestyles Homes on Mar 20, 2021

I also vote for contact cement and definitely a clamp it down or put a lot of weight on it, which the slant top will have to be tipped to not be slanting.

Just putting a C clamp on it with nothing to spread the clamp-point-load is not a good idea. I would use a piece of Masonite or plywood with waxed paper in between the veneer & the Masonite.

• Em Em on Mar 20, 2021

Elmer's wood glue and a clamp or very heavy item on top. Wipe the glue that oozes out off before you clamp or stack something heavy on top of like bricks or it will show when you remove it after it has dried. Use wax paper to keep the piece from sticking to what ever you use to hold the piece in place. Just cover the patch with a piece and add weight or cllamp. Touch up any thing that shows with Old English scratch remover in whatever shade you have and a rag to match if the edges don't blend in as well as they did. Using a tiny brush go around he edge let sit for about 30 seconds to soak in then wipe off. The stain will hide the edges if there is any unstained area in the cracks. If the piece fits back in perfectly, let it be.

• Betsy Betsy on Apr 13, 2021

Hi Nancy: Gorilla Glue should do it for you. Put a light coat of glue on both pieces, let it get a bit tacky and then put the 2 pieces together, put some waxed paper on the spot and then something heavy on it. The waxed paper will keep whatever you are holding it down with from sticking to the patch, and the waxed paper should peel or wash off if it sticks. Leave the heavy thing on the area at least 24 hours or longer, so that it will set up and stick.

Good luck

• Johnavallance82 Johnavallance82 on Jul 08, 2021

Hello there,

Brown Paper and a Warm Iron to soften the glue.