How To Dry An Artichoke

3 materials
$16

Did you know you can easily dry an artichoke to use in all your home decor?

From wreaths to tablescapes to just sitting happily clustered in a bowl……

These little beauties are a great way to add drama and texture for all your decor needs.

Supplies

A large stainless bowl

Scotch tape

Artichokes with stems

Directions to Dry Artichokes

1. First, lay pieces of tape horizontally across the bowl. I use stainless steel because the scotch tape sticks and does not fall off. In fact, I have re-used the same taped bowl many times to dry different sets of artichokes without changing the tape.
  2. Next, lay additional pieces of tape vertically across the bowl. You have now created a grid.
  3. Now, place the artichokes within the grid. Make sure to keep the artichokes spaced apart so that air can circulate around them as they dry out.
  4. Place the artichokes in a cool room away from sunlight.
  5. I have these sitting in our basement. The light is on so that you can see the artichokes. Normally, this room stays cool and dark which is perfect for the artichokes to dry out without molding.
  6. The artichokes should dry out within 10 - 14 days and will be ready to use in all of your arrangements and home decor.

Many people have asked me if they become fragile. My answer is no. I have had my dried artichokes for over a year and they have not flaked or fallen apart on me.

Here is an example of the grid form using scotch tape.

Place the artichokes, stem side down, into a space in the grid.

Make sure to leave space between the artichokes so that air can circulate around them.

Place the artichokes in a location away from sunlight so that the can dry out. These are in my basement. Normally it is dark in this room, but I turned the light on to get the photo.

Repeat this process using the same bowl and tape to get as many dried artichokes as you need for your decor.

A dried artichoke positioned in a eucalyptus swag for a table-scape.

A large bowl of dried artichokes in a bowl sitting on my coffee table.

When the artichoke dries, you get magnificent muted colors. Each artichoke will be highlighted with different shades of yellow, green, brown, and red.

Jennifer Williams

Questions on this post

Your question...
  2 questions

Comments

2 of 10 comments
Next