Poisin ivy

+7

How to get rid of poison ivy?

• Michelle Leslie Michelle Leslie on May 10, 2021

Hi Pat, this article suggests pouring boiling water over the roots - https://www.hgtv.com/outdoors/flowers-and-plants/how-to-kill-poison-ivy

• In order to get rid of poison ivy you can douse it with boiling water. By pouring boiling hot water it can kill invasive poison ivy, however it takes several tries to completely destroy hidden roots. Herbicides can also help but may require an increased concentration.

• Pat Pat on May 10, 2021

Thank you.

• Redcatcec Redcatcec on May 10, 2021

Here's a recipe for a spray on poison ivy killer:

3 cups vinegar

1/2 cup salt

1 T Blue Dawn

Put the mixture in a sprayer, best sprayed on a hot dry windless day with no rain in sight. Check your progress in 1 week and repeat if needed.

• Kathy Gunter Law Kathy Gunter Law on May 10, 2021

Take a hoe or axe and cut the vine near the root/ground. Let it dry up. Wear protective clothing & gloves to remove once it is dry because you can still get infected.

• Mogie Mogie on May 11, 2021
    Homemade Poison Ivy Killer

https://www.tipsbulletin.com/homemade-poison-ivy-killer/

• Betsy Betsy on May 13, 2021

Hi Pat: One thing I used, and it worked for me and my neighbour, was I got a container of Ground Clear from the home improvement store. Then I filled a syringe with the liquid and injected it into the stem of the plants. Also, you could get a small foam paint brush and paint the underneath part of the leaves. Don't get this liquid on anything else as it will kill whatever it touches. This way, the plant takes the poison to the roots and kills them. When you pull the plants out, you leave some roots and they regrow. This way, the roots are killed.

Good luck

• Lifestyles Homes Lifestyles Homes on May 15, 2021

Use a Brush Killer or a broad spectrum herbicide (as in kills other plants).

I get some latex gloves from dollar store, a disposable paper or plastic cup (or washed out empty can) and a small crafts brush.

Wearing the gloves, In the cup mix the ratio of concentrated herbicide and water, as well as 2-3 drops of liquid dish soap.

Paint the leaves, or at least the junctions where they meets and let it dry.

As long as you don’t have rain, they will be dying within 2 days.

Mine is too stubborn and I can’t hoe it up (too many exposures to it and I’m now allergic)

I use a broad spectrum concentrated herbicide, diluted and mixed in a disposable cup.

Dollar store latex gloves and a small crafts brush are the application tools.

In the cup, besides the herbicide and water, I add 2-3 drops of liquid soap as a surfactant.

I paint the leaves, especially at the junction of the 3 leaves.

If no rain, they’ll be dead in 2 days.