How to seal countertop?

+10

Hi all - I have countertops in the bath and kitchen that I love, but they need a little TLC. Looking to coat them with something clear that will make them look - if not like new, then just better. I have already searched youtube for videos. Unless it is a video of you doing the work, I would really love personal recommendations. Thank you!!

• FrugalFamilyTimes.com FrugalFamilyTimes.com on May 24, 2021

What are they made of?

• Lifestyles Homes Lifestyles Homes on May 24, 2021

Yes, what are they? Do you want a short term solution like furniture polish?

I've some MCM pieces that have woodgrain Formica tops that someone put a polyurethane sort of coating on them and it looks terrible, decades later.

I called Formica HQ to see how to strip it. Being a plastic, I would only use an oil-based polyurethane. They may not be rated for Food Service use.

Granite & marble sealers, have to be applied every 6 months to marble. Granite once a year.

If you've a faux Corian, I'd call the manufacturer.

• Janice Janice on May 24, 2021

You'll get better and more recommendations if you describe what your counters surface might be. Formica, marble, granite, resin? Thank you!

• Cheryl A Cheryl A on May 24, 2021

You didn't say what your countertops are made of...stone, granite, quartz, laminate???

here is info that I used when I had cultured marble countertops

https://household-tips.thefuntimesguide.com/repair_cultured_marble_counter/

• Mogie Mogie on May 24, 2021

Agree with posters above we need more info. What are your counters made of?

The more detail in your question the more specific our answers will be to your question.

Thanks!!!

• Teresa J. M. Lavender Teresa J. M. Lavender on May 24, 2021

They are laminate - sorry, I should have said that at the start.

• William William on May 24, 2021

Polyurethane won't hold good to laminate. It will flake/peel over time. And not food safe. Other sealers need to absorb into the countertop and laminate is solid. All you can do is apply paste wax like waxing a car. Will need to be reapplied every so often.

• You also have to consider what is food safe. A lot of the sealing chemicals that may adhere to laminate aren't going to be safe to eat off...I would definitely either call a laminate company or ask at the kitchen design area of Home Depot or Lowe's if they recommend anything to restore the laminate.

• Teresa J. M. Lavender Teresa J. M. Lavender on Jun 01, 2021

Yes, I will ask when I get to the store. Just to be on the safe side. Thank you!

• Laminate is a tough surface, in that it's not meant to accept sealers and nothing will really stick to it. You might reach out to a laminate company and see what their recommendations are.

• You can simply clean your countertop using mild kitchen cleaner or a product for Stone formulated for granite, slate and marble. Let the counter then use another clean, dry cloth for applying, preferably use lint-free cloth.