DIY Space Saving Rolling Kitchen Pantry

$75

Our cabinet space is limited in our tiny kitchen. But we did have 8 inches of unused space beside our fridge. So we built a rolling pantry to hold all our canned goods and dry food!
diy space saving rolling kitchen pantry, closet, diy, kitchen design, organizing, storage ideas
First things first - we measured our space. Then using basic tools (power saw, drill, nail gun and screws) we assembled the body of our pantry.
To keep it as light-weight as possible, we bought a piece of Masonite to cover the back. You could use plywood, but it will add to the overall weight and could get hard to pull in and out. We stencilled the back of the Masonite to give it a little oomph!
Some primer and paint, dowels, rubber wheels and we were ready to slide it into place!
We added a long handle on the front to distribute the weight. It is very sturdy and works better than we imagined.
Some people have asked us about the heat generated by the fridge. Our fridge doesn't generate any heat at all, so that was not a concern for us. The only thing we wouldn't do is pull it all the way out so it's beyond the wall - then it could get tippy. You could always install a floor stopper to prevent that from happening.
This is one of our favourite projects ever and, as you can see, it really created more space in our cabinets for other things because it holds so many pantry items!
Check out the full post and tutorial on how we built this pantry (including measurements) on our blog!
DIY Passion

• MATTIE HYDE

So the heat from the fridge doesn't affect the canned goods?

• Nancy

I dont believe it has to go by a refrigerator.....that's where they placed theirs but i'm sure you can place it where you see fit.

• Jam19489198

I love this but don't know where to get the items or to buy the materials

• Kathy

You can get materials at any home improvement center like The Home Depot or Lowe's.

• June

how did u put the dowels in place ?

• Mookie

I was wondering if you could have adjustable shelves as it would have more space for items if you could.

• Audrie Sumner

I did this project using a cheap bookcase from Goodwill.. Its beside my upright freezer and the top shelves hold all my cookbooks. The bottom shelves have baskets and hold various items.

• Becky Edson

Do you have a picture you could share ? I think the bookcase idea is more of my style. THANK you