DIY Space Saving Rolling Kitchen Pantry

$75
1 Day

Our cabinet space is limited in our tiny kitchen. But we did have 8 inches of unused space beside our fridge. So we built a rolling pantry to hold all our canned goods and dry food!
First things first - we measured our space. Then using basic tools (power saw, drill, nail gun and screws) we assembled the body of our pantry.
To keep it as light-weight as possible, we bought a piece of Masonite to cover the back. You could use plywood, but it will add to the overall weight and could get hard to pull in and out. We stencilled the back of the Masonite to give it a little oomph!
Some primer and paint, dowels, rubber wheels and we were ready to slide it into place!
We added a long handle on the front to distribute the weight. It is very sturdy and works better than we imagined.
Some people have asked us about the heat generated by the fridge. Our fridge doesn't generate any heat at all, so that was not a concern for us. The only thing we wouldn't do is pull it all the way out so it's beyond the wall - then it could get tippy. You could always install a floor stopper to prevent that from happening.
This is one of our favourite projects ever and, as you can see, it really created more space in our cabinets for other things because it holds so many pantry items!
Check out the full post and tutorial on how we built this pantry (including measurements) on our blog!

DIY Passion

• June

how did u put the dowels in place ?

• Marie

Can this unit be freestanding and used in an area not next to rhe dridge?

• Leeann Lott

No, I think not. If you just made one counter height and wider pIssibly 2 sided maybe....then you would not be in danger of it tipping over and possibly killing you or your child or your I pet.

• Lj

Looks great! How did you get it so the front looks so finished and is so smooth...curious on how you covered the screws.

• Audrie Sumner

I did this project using a cheap bookcase from Goodwill.. Its beside my upright freezer and the top shelves hold all my cookbooks. The bottom shelves have baskets and hold various items.

• Charla Landry Watkins

The bookcase is okay if it isn't used much. Reinforce everything. But, if you will be using this pantry a lot, opt to build one that looks like a bookcase. I thought the bookcase was more my style, but after 6 months, it came apart.

• Nelida

Is a good idea for mine tiny efficiency