Save 20% on Your Utilities!

1 Material
$2.00

Yeah, I was skeptical too. Save 20%? Huh? Really? 20% seems a hefty sum, right?
save 20 on your utilities, diy, electrical
They hooked me. I clicked the links: "Insulate your outlets and save 20% on your utility bills!" the websites I saw cried out. It seemed like a stretch but I thought about it.
I checked out the Menards website and sure enough, they had the foam sealers. I figured since we have so many outlets and switches on outside walls, likely uninsulated walls, this might be a good thing to do, 20% utility bill savings or not.
As you can see, this particular brand had ones you can use either on outlets or switches. Just pop out the corresponding rectangle.
Super easy to install. The right thing to do is shut off the power to the outlets and switches you're working on, open them up, pop on the foam piece and reattach the cover plate. More details are on my blog at humboldtartdept.blogspot.com.
I came across instances with two switches. The foam overlapped so after a minor amount of trimming, I was able to get the cover plates back on securely to the wall.
In other instances, an outlet took up half the opening so I put a foam piece on just one half. Easy peasy. Will they save us 20% on our bills? Let's hope so but that remains to be seen. They have vastly improved a draft we have that comes down our staircase, so for just a couple of bucks, it was already worth it. I was pleasantly surprised! Come read the whole story over on my blog, Flipping the Flip! Click the link below for this and more fun stories!
We want to help you DIY, so some of the materials in this post are linked to sellers. Just so you know, Hometalk may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page.

Becky at Flipping the Flip

• Beverly Johnson

Should you do this to ALL outlets or just the ones on the walls by the exterior of the house

• Lori

GREAT idea about the baby proof covers!!

• Vicky Thomas

Yes, Im wondering the same as above...all the outlets, or just those on outside walls?

• Joe Jones

Lynn it doesn’t always create a vacuum and the outlets aren’t sealing your house completely causing others to suck air. The interior walls only get air from the inside of the house. If your house is off grade as in on blocks or raised with crawl space your floors are insulated and air isn’t coming up into that wall. If it’s on concrete slab the wood base plate and the concrete keep cold air from drafting into your walls. If air d drafted like that your house would be cold cause if floors

• Courtney

Wouldn't the foam be a fire risk

• Jawene

Go 1 step further & plug in the plastic child protector overe the plugs you are not using. This additionally cuts down more draft.