Mad Hatter Lampshade Hats and Functional Lampshades

$8.00

With my glue gun and lampshades from Goodwill I put together a collection of hats and shades.
I will be adding some miniature pocket watches and trinkets the I have ordered on-line. It is perfectly fine without though.
I took apart one lampshade to get the ring to use for the brim. I cut wire hangers to use to attach the brim to the lampshade. You'll want strong wire for this and a hanger seemed like the logical choice.
After pinching the wire together, I covered the wire joints with duct tape to avoid anyone getting poked when handling it.
I cut a circle out of cardboard to cover the top and glued to the rim. I then covered the cardboard with some batting I had on hand.
Using stretch velvet from cut up Goodwill dresses I covered the brim first.I glued along the inside first and then stretched it around the wire brim and glued it on the top. I then draped the hat with the purple and tied elastic around it tightly. This helped me to glue the top piece and keep my folds nice and uniform. When I was done gluing I trimmed the excess and cut the elastic off. I took a leftover piece of fabric and glued it over where the two fabrics meet to clean up the look a little. It gets hidden under ribbon anyway, so don't worry about it.
I made hat pins using hanger wire and gluing old pieces of Goodwill jewelry. Add any ribbon and feathers you can find, and you've got yourself a conversation piece! To make this one wearable I took an old hat and cut off the brim and glued the head part inside this hat. Now it fits perfectly as a costume hat too.
This was made using a much smaller bedroom lamp shade.
I left the top off this one and can use it as a shade.
Some of my collection :-)
I did this one with paper mache and finished it with torn paper bags.
Paper Mache version
Paper mache completed
Paper mache version complete
My little Mad Hatter.

• Sam Bo

First off these are so amazing I love what you've done and your creativity is just over the top. What do you do with these Mad Hatter Hats?
    • Tracy Jo

Hi there, thank you for your kind words. The glasses were bought through AliExpress online. I think they were like $4.00 a pair. I ordered a few so I'd have extras :-) Warning, if you don't shop on Ali already you may become addicted! You can order so much through them at great pricing. Be sure to share your creations, would love to see them. Best of luck.

• Christine Warbrick

Hi

I am looking for six lampshades like this would you be interested in making them

regards

• Elyssa Bockman Brecher

What an ingenious idea! My daughter is skating to the music from the Broadway show, Wonderland, and I was trying to figure out how to make a top hat that would be lightweight....this will be perfect!! Thank you!! 🤗

• Tracy Jo

Awesome, I’m sure it will be very cool! Good luck and please share your creation.

• Catherine Thurman

This is amazing, thank you for sharing your beautiful ideas.