What is your best tip for getting rid of stinging nettles?

+22
What is your best tip for getting rid of stinging nettles? I was doing some gardening yesterday and stepped in a patch of them - my foot is STILL tingling! And my poor Taffy got into them earlier in the week! They are NOT fun! Have you had any at your house? How do YOU get rid of them?! (Besides moving, of course...)
q what is your best tip for getting rid of stinging nettles, gardening, how to
  • Cheryl Blanchette Cheryl Blanchette on Feb 25, 2015
    They are a cool weather weed and are shallow rooted. Wear gloves and shoes, not sandals and pull out by hand or with a tine garden fork. If you don't get the root they will come again until hot weather. Please don't use a chemical.
  • Flo Flo on Feb 25, 2015
    weed b gone works great. kills all broadleaf plants, even some that resist roundup.
  • Rod smith Rod smith on Feb 25, 2015
    Cheryl, is dead right however if you care about the environment keep a small patch for butterflies and insects .also fresh growth can make a light summer soup. google for recipes, Regards Rod Smith in the uk
  • Teri Teri on Feb 25, 2015
    Goats love them. Maybe get a goat.
  • Dori Timblin Dori Timblin on Feb 26, 2015
    Stinging nettles are easily pulled and work great for composting.
  • Joyce Hochsprung Joyce Hochsprung on Feb 26, 2015
    If you crush the leaves and stem and apply the juice to the area of skin affected by the nettles it takes away the sting. An herbalist told me about this and though I don't have nettles here I had occasion to try this when I was helping a friend clear an area. When pulling something from a pile of junk I accidentally ended up with stinging nettle whacked across my forearm. I remembered the herbalist talking about this, so grabbed the offending nettle plant with my gloves on and proceeded to smash up the nettle leaves in the palm of my glove and applied the juiced up stems to my arm praying I was remembering correctly. It worked! I had immediate relief.
  • Douglas Hunt Douglas Hunt on Feb 26, 2015
    Digging so you get the rhizome really is the best bet. Make sure to wear gloves.
  • White Oak Studio Designs White Oak Studio Designs on Feb 26, 2015
    Nettles not only make a delicious soup, they are an excellent herb to feed chickens. I'd pick, dry and store them for winter feeding.
  • DORLIS DORLIS on Feb 26, 2015
    I WOULD EAT THEM. HARVEST THE SEEDS AND SEND THEM TO ME. THEY ARE GREAT FOR CLEANSING YOUR BLOOD IN THE SPRINT TIME.
  • Lindcurt Lindcurt on Feb 26, 2015
    move somewhere else.
  • ....And dont bees use this as " emergency food' , in winter ? I dont kill off too many things, especially dandelions, the bees need those , as well. Remember that " When bees cease to exist, so will man..."
  • Teri Tripp-Lanciault Teri Tripp-Lanciault on Mar 05, 2015
    Wish I could get them from you. I love them. They are a bummer to harvest but delicious to eat! Mmmm, steamed with butter and S&P!
    Oh, yeah....like DORLIS, I would love some seeds. This is a superfood!
  • TJ TJ on Sep 18, 2016
    I hate this plant and have tried many ways to get rid of it. Can't pull it cuz the itch goes through my heavy gloves. I finally resorted to chemicals - Brush-b-gone is stronger than Roundup. More keeps popping up.
    • DORLIS DORLIS on Sep 19, 2016
      You have to start below and move your hands up the stem, never downward. after it is cooked, no problem. it is oxalic acid in the thorns that get you.
  • Simple Nature Decor Simple Nature Decor on May 15, 2021

Stinging nettle may be removed by hand, taking care to protect the skin with gloves and other appropriate attire. Be sure to remove the underground rhizomes completely or the weed will continue to come back. Close mowing or “weed whacking” can retard growth as well.