V Valencia
V Valencia
  • Downey, CA
Asked on Jan 1, 2013

Re-purposing a baby highchair

Norma WheelerNelia AmaroLois Kelly
+38

I have an wooden baby highchair that I used for both my daughters now 23 and 16...I just can't seem to part with the chair. It was initially white and I painted it for my second daughter. Does anyone have any ideas on how I can repurpose this special chair?
Baby highchair
Baby highchair
  • Kimberly Barney

I wouldn't repurpose it. I would simply hold on to it for the grandchildren.

• Miriam I

I saw this one idea for a cook book stand on Pinterest via Junk Market Style: http://pinterest.com/pin/4222193370798405/ You'd have to take it apart somewhat, though.

q re purposing a baby highchair, painted furniture, repurposing upcycling
  • Z

I too would hang onto it for your future grandchildren, but in the mean time you could removed the tray and keep it stored somewhere safe and add a shelf across the very bottom rungs by just placing a piece of wood cut to fit and use it as in Miriam's picture. Great find @Miriam.

• Kelly S

Use it as is for a night stand a guest bedroom, complete with an extra throw rolled up and placed in the chair or a stuffed animal.

• V Valencia

Hello, thanks so much for your suggestions. I love both ideas of using it for book storage or night stand...great usage while maintaining the integrity of the chair for grandkids...

• Cherie

Keep ours in corner of breakfast room ... and old wooden stirrup napkin holder, S&P, candle on tray ... drape current place mats over back and napkins on seat. Also good for a nice green plant!!

• Carroll A

Use it for a plant stand until them grand babies come along. It is a keeper for sure.

• Z

The only thing I'd add if you use it as a plant stand, which is a great idea, is to make sure you never over water. I'd place a tray under the pot, just in case...

• Vintage Headboards

Just a thought... If you removed the tray and spindles that support the tray what was once a baby high chair would morph into a regular chair for the baby. Think of it the same way that baby beds are changed into day beds. I wouldn't throw it away - help the chair mature into the next stage of the baby's life. Keep the spindles and tray as they can be re-attached later in life for that child's baby when they grow up. Give it a shot???

• Jamala W

I see its in the kitchen.. i'd put a decorative bin in the chair and roll up the kitchen towels and mittens to keep them handy and close by. perhaps put your favorite apron around the chair back :-) - just a suggestion

• Marcia T

this is a nice pic of a repurposed high chair that just happens to be on craigslist. I'm not selling it, I just happen to find it. http://austin.craigslist.org/atq/3511809749.html

• Sharron W

I think if you use it as a plant stand, I'd make sure the change wasn't permanent cause eventually, (sooner than it seems possible) you'll have grandkids and want to use the chair for them...what a wonderful piece to have!

• Jeff C

I see this as being a cool barbers chair for some reason.

• Rosalie M

I have one of these old high chairs also. I kept mine varnished and use it as a decorative piece in my dinning room. Their original purpose was to remove the tray and convert into a youth chair. I keep a beautiful doll in mine and when babies come to visit, it can be used for them as well.

• Z

I wish I would have kept the wooden one we had, but we moved so often when the kids were little it was one of those things we had to leave behind eventually.

• Jeanie M

I bought a wooden chair for $19.00 in a resale shop this spring and painted it bright colors. I put it in my garden. I used the legs to trellis tomatoes and the seat and tray to hold pots of flowers. However, it was rough on the chair and I wouldn't use that idea for an heirloom.

• Rita Robbie

Hi Jeanie, Have you tried Americana brand Patio Paint? It is made for outdoors and holds up well. Also, you probably need a varnish which is made for outdoors. As it begins to look worn, you could repaint with the patio paint and apply a weatherproof finish (don't forget the undersides and leg bottoms - especially anywhere that gets dampness from the dirt or grass) For better protection you should varnish several coats, drying well between each coat. You would be amazed how much better it will hold up outdoors. You can find the paints at Beverly's, Michael's or similar craft stores, or online. It is a well known brand among decorative artists (tole painters). Good luck. After all the creative work you put in, you want it to last :-). PS check for wear every year and revarnish any areas that have worn to keep it in good shape.

• Karen Worden

I still have mine. I take the tray off and it slides right under our table for a chair for the toddlers. My grandkids all use it now

• Julie

I have my Dad's old highchair. I use it for a plant stand, I have a big fern sitting on it. When the grandkids come, we still use it! The plant gets moved to the porch.

• V Valencia

Thanks all for your input. As noted previously, I was having difficulty in parting with my daughters' high chair...I have now re-purposed it and it will be ready for grandkids in years to come.

q re purposing a baby highchair, painted furniture, repurposing upcycling, I chalk painted and distressedq re purposing a baby highchair, painted furniture, repurposing upcycling, I will now place this in my dining room
  • Sharron W

What a CUTE, (temporary) use you found for it! LOL This is adorable!!!

• Lindsey Freeman

a flower pot... put pot on tray!

• KathrynElizabeth Etier

I just repainted an old high chair (will post when the project is done). This wouldn't work for you because your kids are too big (think grandchildren), but I'm going to add lettering and stencils, and make it into a time out chair. Since I can fit in it comfortably, I'm sure it's gonna work for my grands who are 8 and 6. It's going on the deck. When the kids are too big, it will be a planter with a pot of something tall or viney in the seat and something short on the tray.

• V Valencia

Hello @KathrynElizabeth Etier I posted this question awhile ago. Since then I took the advice of Hometalkers and made it a bookshelf and put it in my dining room. I painted it white and distressed it a bit. Books can be removed and used for future grandchildren :)

• Irene

I would leave it alone. You will want this chair for Granchildern before you know it!

• Snapoutofit

@Irene I agree. Decorate it for seasonal themes, put a plant on it, etc. Just use it as a decorative piece to change when you have your next creative whim (like we all have...often in the middle of the night, when it is a work week, and we have a meeting first thing in the morning....)

• Teresa

Nice job! Repurposed for now but can use for grandbabies in the future too! Best of both worlds!

• Kathryn Pelletti

Keep it just the same I think the same have it for grandbaby's

• Mary M. Prinzavalli

I had an old highchair and used it for a plant since it sat in front of a sliding glass door. Then when I got grandchildren I used it for them. A Boston fern or airplane plant would look nice.

• Mary

Hey just a thought to add to its already special qualities, but maybe start collecting vintage children's books that have meaning for you and other members of the family. Then when grandkids come along it will be center of attention and very special to all (= Blessings and Happy Holidays Btw gorgeous paint job (=

• Smk1442994

It's lovely the way it is. Great condition !! But of course it's up to you. That's so wonderful that you still have it. I wish I would have kept the high chair my kids used.The grand children will love it.

• V Valencia

@Thank You Smkarasz65 I ended up using it as a cookbook holder for the time being.

• Stephen Canas

If your into woodworking you could turn it into a rocking chair! Basically it is a regular chair made for a basic dining room table you can take the baby table and platform off it to expose the regular seat. Take the baby foot support off . Install long rockers on the bottom, (don't use short ones or you'll get a head ache falling over every time. Extend the back and use a pillow backing to make it comfortable and like a cardinals sette use that shape to install armrests.

• Stephen Canas

....your going to need a rocking chair to tell your grandbabies stories are you not?

• Joan Conn Spengler

Why wreck it! It is delightful as is.

• Lois Kelly

It's a beautiful piece of furniture and you will need it for grandchildren before long. However, I took the back, tray and spndles off mine and used the sturdy bottom for a rather large round piece of plywood, attached it through the seat and am using it with a beautiful green tassdaled cloth over it and a glass for the top.

• Nelia Amaro

you can hang upside down or right side up, either way a good storage idea

• Norma Wheeler

plant stand